Birds out of satelite dish nose cone

How to keep sparrrows and other birds from nesting in the nose cone of a satelite TV antenna? I tried green nylon screen mesh and a bunch of tape. The pecked away the tape, and got back in.

Shooting is not an option.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe a rubber snake in the dish will keep them away.

Reply to
Scall5

Build them some nesting boxes to lure them away from the antenna. Then shoot them.

Reply to
Red

Nylon window screen sounds like the right idea. You just need a better attachment scheme for it. Maybe silicone caulk?

Reply to
Davej

Shock tape. DAGS.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I can't think what a nose cone has that provides nesting. Careful, black screening may have RF conduction, but I'm still wondering about nose cone.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Me looking around for birds on 85 foot dish.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Wide angle view..

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Other housing, might be an option. Or, might make it worse. Plenty of trees nearby.

Shooting is not an option.

.

Build them some nesting boxes to lure them away from the antenna. Then shoot them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hadn't thought of that. I did think of big nylon tie straps.

.

Nylon window screen sounds like the right idea. You just need a better attachment scheme for it. Maybe silicone caulk?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't put electrical equipment near a RF Receiver. Too much RF interference.

.

Shock tape. DAGS.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The receiver is under a plastic weather protector, which is probably 8 inches diameter. This provides space which is shielded from the weather.

Nylon screen should be invisible to RF.

.

I can't think what a nose cone has that provides nesting. Careful, black screening may have RF conduction, but I'm still wondering about nose cone.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That must have been an interesting job. I bet you didn't get to say "fries with that?" very often?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rubber hawk, wired to the supports? You know, that might work.

.

Maybe a rubber snake in the dish will keep them away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get a satellite dish cover (or "radome" cover)...

Bill

A customer of mine had fake owls on his roof to try to scare the pigeons away from his AC and refrigeration equipment. I climbed up there one day to see a pigeon screwing a rubber owl. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My apologies. I neglected to mention that the dish in question is about 10 foot diameter. The nesting area is a "nose cone" about 8 inch diamater, and about 12 inches long.

.

Get a satellite dish cover (or "radome" cover)...

Stormin Mormon

At least the pigeon didn't get STD, screwing a rubber, and all.

What did the pigeon say when it went to the doctor for STD? "My pecker is sore".

.

A customer of mine had fake owls on his roof to try to scare the pigeons away from his AC and refrigeration equipment. I climbed up there one day to see a pigeon screwing a rubber owl. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You could test black screen. Put in microwave next to glass of water. If you see sparks, or the screen gets warm, no good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Might not be useful, compared to satelite dish RF bands.

.