Best cable splitting strategy.

Hi,

I know that the cable modem must have a pretty strong signal so it can be downstream from a few splitters.

But I need to put in at least one or two. Where the cable comes in (A) I have a single TV. The modem is in the next room (B) where there is another TV. I'm choosing between two options:

  1. 2-way splitter at location A and a 2-way splitter at location B.
  2. 3-way splitter at location A

Way 1 is neater, but perhaps the modem gets only 1/4 of the signal. Way 2 is more cumbersome, but perhaps the modem gets 1/3 the signal.

So which way is better?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

You might consider an active splitter such as:

it requires AC power so needs to be located near an outlet.

Joe J

Reply to
Joe J.

Better to reroute cables so modem gets a feed after only a 2 way split.

If that is not possible use method #2 and a high quality 10GHz splitter.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Check out this page

See TechTip #1 at bottom of page re use of "unbalanced" 3 way splitter (1 port gets half signal, other 2 get 1/4 each)

Reply to
Reed

You cant use a cable modem after an amplifier. Amplifiers are one way devices cable boxes are two way devices.

Reply to
JIMMIE

as:

> but it requires AC power so needs to be located near an outlet.

Some have a passive return path and are intended for that use.

Reply to
George

Try option #1. If everything work, leave it alone, otherwise go for #2.

Reply to
HeyBub

Really, where can you get a bidirectional amp like this. I was told by my cable company I could not use my amplified distribution system with my cable modem or cable box because of this and there was no amp available that would fit my needs.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I don't know about your needs, but there are lots of bidirectional amps for under $ 50. Here is one:

Radio Shack advertises them also.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ahh.. That sounds perfect. I didn't know about those.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Walmart has them.

Reply to
PatM

I just installed a cable modem. The speed was okay but not great. The cable company sent a tech out. He said they ALWAYS split for the modem right after the grounding clamp. He put on a 3 way where there had been a 2 way and ran a line directly to the modem. I have a TV right near it and asked about putting in a splitter for that. He said to use the existing (old) wire for the TV and to keep nothing but the modem on the dedicated wire.

I have a signal booster for the TV (because the signal was not too good) and picked up a two-way booster at Walmart. It turns out the signal was bad because of the grounding clamp was bad. When he replaced it it made a huge difference.

Reply to
PatM

Hi, I never had weak signal problem when splitting cable. You can try any way you prefer but use good quality parts and cables.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

as:

>>> but it requires AC power so needs to be located near an outlet.

Commonly available. The reason the cable companies discourage using them is because people buy them because they have a bunch of incorrectly configured cheap splitters or have poor wiring. The amplifier just masks the problem. When they remotely manage the equipment the levels will not correctly reflect system levels.

Cable companies are typically pretty good about making sure there is sufficient signal. Around here if you have signal issues they will adjust them as required. Anytime I have seen an installation that seems to need an amplifier it can be fixed by clipping off all of the twist on coax connectors, terminating the cables properly and using quality splitters that are arranged properly.

Reply to
George

My buddy was asking about an amplifier. He bought one and there was no improvement. I stopped by, clipped off a couple mickey mouse twist on coax connectors and installed snap seals. Problem solved and no amplifier required.

Reply to
George

Ok, my 2 cents. I had my modem connected to the output of the first splitter, then I got the digital cable box. The cable box was hooked to the second splitter. I found that the on-demand wouldn't work, so I switched the modem and cable box. The modem is on the second splitter and the cable box on the first. Now they are both working just fine.

YMMV Bill

Reply to
BillGill