Beneful dog food.........

Mu view also. We feed it to my grandson's dog with no problems. She does get other foods to supplement too. Like a scrambled egg every morning. My wife won't get up at 5:30 to make me breakfast, but the dog gets hers at 8. Can't say that I blame her. This is a 7 year old, 65# pit bull that grandson got from someone that could no longer care for her. Sweetest dog I've ever met. She also makes sure my wife takes a nap every afternoon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

| Fine, don't take my word for it. Go to a grocery store, pick up a bag of Nestle chocolate chips, | and look at the ingredients list yourself.

It's interesting what one can and can't find online. I was unable to find any ingredients lists at any Nestle site. But I did find this:

Nestle was pledging a year ago to remove artificial flavors and colors (artificial colors?!) from many of their candies by the end of 2015. Did they? Maybe. Will I now buy Nestle products? No. I wouldn't consider it. Aside from political and business issues, and the fact that at least up until recently they considered artifical flavors and colors to be proper ingredients of candy, there's one glaring issue that I happen to find relevant: their chocolate is almost tasteless compared with good quality chocolate. Also, some of their products still appear to have hydrogenated fats. I can't confirm that, though, because Nestle doesn't seem to want me to see their ingredients lists.

I generally try to buy food products from local or known, accountable companies. That's not always so easy, though. For instance, I've been buying Muir Glen canned, organic tomatoes because the cans say they don't contain BPA lining, and because I don't consider Whole Foods house brands to be trustworthy. But it turns out that Muir Glen is actually owned by General Mills. Does GM allow them to make a decent product? There's no way to know. That's the problem with factory food. Decisions are made by businessmen and products are more marketing than substance. The marketing and name brands make things very confusing. Coke owns Honest Tea and Green Mountain Coffee. Pepsi owns Naked Juice. Post owns Erewhon. Dannon owns Stonyfield Farms, which owns Brown Cow. (yogurt) It seems the best indicator of sellout companies is when they suddenly get good distribution. Which is a case made for the local food fad.

Reply to
Mayayana

THEY CLAIM THERE IS NO PROBLEM AT ALL, AND ITS ALL A SOCIAL MEDIA HYSTERIA.

but when theres this much smoke theres obviously a fire.

in addition they didnt ask for production code numbers on the bags and havent recalled anything'

no doubt they are trying to avoid the costs of recalls, the costs of testing, and the costs of fixing whatever is wrong.

Reply to
bob haller

It's not my intent to be insulting but apparently you have never worked for a large corporation. If you had, you'd know why this scenario could easily happen.

The Peter Principle is alive and well!

Mac

Exactly! This situation is even worse because it only involves animals. My God, look at the abuse that has been occuring in factory farming for years. You think these greedy assholes care about Rover or Fifi?

Reply to
Senator Pocketstuffer

In the US, you can assume that everything contains GMO ingredients except foods labeled organic. FWIW, if it is not labeled organic, I don't buy it.

Reply to
Senator Pocketstuffer

Seventeen years at a Fortune 100 company in engineering, marketing and sales. And we never did what was being alleged here. We did have product returned for failure analysis on rare occasions. We analyzed it to find out why it failed. The analysis wasn't cheap, it included electron microscopy when necessary. A very few of those turned out to be something that was due to something that had gone wrong on our end. If it affected other customers, we informed them and gave them options to return product, etc. It was rare, but we did it right. Not only was it the right thing from a moral perspective, but we weren't going to destroy the whole company image, lose customers, etc.

Sure, it's possible that all the upper management at Purina and Nestle are really, really dumb. But I tend to doubt it. This is now at the level where it's in the media, top management knows about it. It would be really dumb to continue to ship product that you know is killing dogs and thereby destroy the whole brand. They even have a class action law suit now. If the alleged poison is so easy to identify as some here think, there will be powerful, damning evidence in court. What's that going to do to the Purina brand? And if Purina knows what's causing it, the further damage moving forward could be eliminated by some steps that would cost them almost nothing, eg change ingredient, switch suppliers.... Also factor in the potential disaster of the cloud spreading to their other products at Nestle itself. And if the poison is so obvious, easy to find with a test, where exactly is the FDA? Are they part of the cover-up too?

When the situation was at this stage with the GM ignition switch, with the deadly air bags, the companies had admitted there was a problem and were taking steps to correct it. So, it's possible Purina knows what's going on and is going on a path of self-destruction, but I tend to doubt it. My bet would be that whatever it is, if it's there, it's not easy to identify what it is.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't see the fire. Lots of allegations, but has anyone offered any proof? Any lab test results? Bad ingredients? What would the basis for a recall be?

Sounds a bit like the old mashed potato story. My grandfather ate mashed potatoes and the next day he was dead.

I'm not proclaiming their innocence, but I've not seen hard evidence of a problem. Surely, soone would have had a cause.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Snag wrote :

Gee trader , it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks glyphosate is bad for humans and other living creatures ... FWIW , and this really is anecdotal , my wife started having extreme digestive problems around the same time they started using GMO corn doused with glyphosate . She cannot eat corn or any corn products any more , soda with corn syrup as a sweetener will have her doubles over in pain and running to the bathroom within minutes of ingestion , and it lasts for several hours . Store bought breads often cause similar problems , particularly white bread , and that also began around the time they started "dessicating" wheat with that stuff . You'll never convince me that glyphosate is not involved with her problems .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ah, but Dr. Seneff is widely known to confuse correlation with causation. A quick google search on her name is illustrative.

Scott Lurndal

"Mayayana" wrote in news:me5ejm$bh7$1@dont- email.me:

Yes, it sure is. Especially interesting is what you can't find, when you're not looking for it.

You didn't look very hard, then.

chocolate-morsels/

NB: verybestbaking.com *is* a Nestle site.

Totally irrelevant, of course -- you claimed that Nestle's chocolate chips contain artificial flavors. "Candies" is not the same as chocolate chips, which are baking ingredients.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I believe beneful had had troubles for years, in a minor way. management hunkerd down and ignored the problems succesfully.

now for unknown reasons the problems size has grown exponentially, and managements hunker down response isnt working.

soon nestle beneful will act as though this is a brand new problem and steps will be taken to address the issue.

if for no other reason, while this can destroy the beneful brand it can damage the purina brand and can effect the parent company purina.

right now management is no doubt wondering what shall we do?

Reply to
bob haller

As an animal lover, I want to Thank You for posting this.

Confirms this is NOT a hoax!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I posted a test.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Several weeks after a lawsuit filed in California claimed that thousands of dogs became ill or died after eating Purina's Beneful kibble, two senators are urging the Food & Drug Administration to open an investigation into th e allegations. Illinois Senator Dick Durbin, along with California Senator Dianne Feinstei n, sent a letter [PDF] to the FDA calling for the agency to quickly investi gate claims that Purina PetCare Company's Beneful brand dry dog food contai ns toxins. The senators also called for immediate updates on the implementation of FDA requirements that could prevent such harmful contamination from occurring in pet foods. In late February, it was revealed that a California man had filed a class a ction-seeking lawsuit against Purina saying the company's dry dog food cont ains substances that are known to be toxic to animals and can lead to inter nal bleeding and other serious health issues for pets. The man alleges that less than a month after beginning to exclusively feed his dogs Beneful dry kibble, all three became ill and his 8-year-old Englis h Bulldog eventually died. According to the lawsuit, illnesses experienced by thousands of dogs across the country were a result of toxins in Beneful such as, but not limited to , Propylene glycol and Mycotoxins. Propylene glycol, the lawsuit states, is an automotive antifreeze component that is a known animal toxin. However, the substance is also an FDA-approv ed food additive for humans. As for Mycotoxins, the lawsuit states they are a group of toxins produced b y fungus that occurs in grains. Representatives for Purina have said that the lawsuit was "without merit" a nd that the company would vigorously defend itself. In their letter to the FDA, Durbin and Feinstein are asking for updates to the agency's implementation of a 2007 law enacted to help prevent contamina ted pet food from reaching animals. Under the 2007 law, the FDA is required to ensure that pet food companies r eport to the agency within 24 hours of determining they have an adulterated product in their supply chain. Additionally, the law requires the FDA to set ingredient and processing sta ndards for pet food, strengthen labeling requirements, establish early warn ing systems for contaminated products and mandate that companies report con taminated food and make key records available during investigations. "The components of the law that FDA has implemented are important to the pu blic and veterinarians, namely the searchable online recall list posted on the agency's website," the letter states. "We appreciate that FDA has imple mented an online database to inform consumers of pet food recalls. However, eight years later, most provisions of the pet food safety law have not bee n implemented and protections Congress enacted are not in place." Tell a friend:

Reply to
bob haller

| > I posted a test. | > | OK, I must have missed it. What did it say? | |

I think we all missed it because he just posted a link with no explanation. See his two posts below. It's apparently a test for particular toxins, especially fungus, but without much explanation.

Reply to
Mayayana

OK, I must have missed it. What did it say?

Jerry says the fact that the senate is calling for an investigation proves it is not a hoax. Maybe it should be investigated, but it proves nothing. Seems simple enough to prove that toxins are in the food. Maybe what you posted did?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bob haller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I wonder if there's a problem with the Purina cat food? I've been feeding that to my cats for years. Maybe I'd better change.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Me too, but I feed them both soft and hard food, and of course cat snacks. My older cat stopped liking what i bought for years. Found only one type of purina they like. I'm sure mold and fungus.problems can exist and be random.

Greg

Reply to
gregz