Bees in the Attic

A young couple I know just bought a lovely 2-yr old modular home. Taking a look around the second floor (currently unfinished- it's a Cape with dormers) I noticed numerous areas where the vents at the base of the roofline and the ridge vents looked to be improperly screened. I suppose the only way to stop the problem is to methodically go around and "fill in the holes," but I did wonder if there was some other way to keep these and other flying insects out. The more I think about it, I think this is a dumb question, but I'll post it anyway. Thank you. Frank P.S. Yes, I have heard of insecticide but wanted to stop them before they got in. BTW- Good time to ask this question: A whole house fan would be useless in a house of this type if mounted in a second- floor dormer, wouldn't it? (Due to the large vent area.) It would have to be mounted in the ceiling of the first floor, in this case, to provide benefit.

Reply to
frank1492

This is Turtle.

The best is to just seal it up or screen it up and just keep them out. The second thing to look at is if you have a bug spraing contract with a Roach spraing company. They have a spray to spray attic with a chemical that will kill or run off anything that will live in the attic. My bug man had to spray my attic a while back for wasp or yellow Jackets. He fogged the attic and killed everything and that was a year ago and nothing is there left to live. It is all apart of the Pest Control contract that I have. it did not cost any more to get rid of them.

Now here is a off the wall one but it works for Squirrels , birds, and Coons. You take Moth balls and spread them out up there. i have been told it works for everything.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

thanks- looks like i'll do it the hard way!

thing to look at is if you have a bug spraing

chemical that will kill or run off anything that will

Jackets. He fogged the attic and killed

apart of the Pest Control contract that I have. it

take Moth balls and spread them out up there. i

Reply to
frank1492

Turtle is right moth balls will keep you clean, i threw up a box and the critters all went to a different motel.

Reply to
m Ransley

:) Turtle is right moth balls will keep you clean, i threw up a box and the :) critters all went to a different motel.

Often I hear that may include the people inside the house. If you go the moth ball route, place them in an old stocking and strategically hang so if the odor permeates into the house you can easily remove them.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

Thanks all for the mothball advice. BTW will mothballs work on black flies and mosquitoes? If so, I'll hang some on my patio...:) Frank

Reply to
frank1492

not quite sure if you could find a moths' balls.

you are a freak!

Reply to
Glen Good

When I lived in Arizona I tried the mothball thing. Must have put 25 pounds of it out in the yard. Didn't keep anything away. I did find one that that worked on the tarantula nests, pouring Liquid Plumber down the holes.

Bob

Reply to
rck