You're very welcome. I recall that as a kid I once used a large 1.5-
volt dry cell and a pair of carbon electrodes (from 2 old dead
flashlight batteries) and electrolyzed some salt water. I could
definitely detect the faint odor of chlorine at the anode The water
around the negative cathode also becomes alkaline from the production
of hydroxyl ions. This is observable by seeing litmus paper turn
blue. If I can be of any further help with chemistry in the future,
please feel free to get in touch. Can't guarantee anything, but I'll
sure try (l'm a retired chemistry professor at KSU). ; - )
One thing that definitely coes to mind in this discussion is this is
a bare-bones cheap-ass charger if it will start without being
connected to a battery. It has no reverse polarity protection, and as
such is either very old or very cheap or both.
As such I WOULD be opening the case and checking the over-all
condition / construction of the unit before using it - even if I had a
meter to check the polarity (which I DO have)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.