Bathtub Help

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this group and this is my very first post. I would like some recommendations from you guys on here. I have a white bathtub and it has a beige fiberglass type surround. I have removed all the old caulking that was in the gap and space before. It has been about 15 years and it has seemed that the bathtub has settled and left a huge (>1 inch) gap between the tub and the surround. I have a webpage link at the end of this post set up to the pictures of the tub and the surround. My initial thought was to buy a plastic or a fiberglass beige colored surround and cut it to a size bigger than the gap and then use liquid nail to glue it to the existing surround and the top of the tub. And then caulk the surrounding spaces and any gaps that I see. I do not want to caulk the existing gap and waste a whole lot of caulk seeping in behind the surround. Here is the link to the pictures and if you guys have any additional questions, you may send them at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. Thank You.

MJPVEN

What kind of condition are they in and do you like them? It may be a good time to consider taking out the surround and upgrading to a nice tile section.

I'd also be concerned about the tub sinking an inch. Quarter inch, maybe, but an inch may be a hint that other problems exist. Check that out.

I agree that caulking the gap is not a good solution. The caulk will shrink and it will look like crap.There may be some soft of trim piece that will fit along the tub edge though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would worry about discovering what caused the tub to sink over an inch. That is a serious possibly structural sag, and needs to be tended to before worrying about some kind of cosmetic fix. Support under tub may have rotted out, or termites, or foundation settling. Can you get underneath the tub, or see under there?

Reply to
Roger

I agree with Rodger. First step is to find out what happened.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan