Bathroom vent fan grinds to stop

Just this morning, my bathroom vent fan (NuTone model 769RL, a combination fan/light) has started running to a halt when switched on

- it seems like the motor is working okay, but something is causing it to seize up. I thought there might be some buildup clogging things but it doesn't look like it - maybe a bearing burnt out?

Point being, is it an easy matter to replace the motor/fan? Is it easier to switch out a motor or bite the bullet and buy an entire new unit? (Of course, my DIY megastore doesn't have replacement motors up on a display rack)

VMacek

Reply to
vmacekesq

Usually pretty easy to switch out the fan/motor assembly. Look for a plug and outlet around the edge, unplug it, a couple/few screws later, it should drop out into your hand. Take it with you to the borg to compare. Tom

Reply to
tom

If it's a standard builder grade fan, it's probably easiest to buy the same model, toss the frame and use the motor fan assembly. The standard units just screw into the installed frame and plug into an outlet in the frame. Any repair part is going to be priced as much or more than the complete unit.

Replacing the whole fan will be a PITA as you will end up cutting out and replacing drywall. Watch out for the vent size also. Newer fan units are typically installed with 4" venting, older ones were done with 3".

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I agree with Rick, silly as it sounds, the replacement motor will cost close to the price of a new unit. Buy the complete unit and use the parts you need, plus the new cover , and scrap the rest

Reply to
RBM

A new unit is about $60.00, so I cannot imagine a replacement motor costing that much.

I once paid as little $11.00 for a fan motor (not the same fan).

-- Oren

Oren

The real old NuTones (1970s vintage like mine) have the layout where the motor is reversed from the current ones-- it takes some tweaking of the mounting setup but it is easier to cannibalize the new motor/fan blade than install a new one.

Reply to
Eye In The Sky

I just ordered a replacement plastic cover for an obsolete Broan fan-light that I had installed about six years ago. It cost $60. You can buy typical

3" motors from places like Graingers for $15, but not OEM Broan or Nutone parts

Reply to
RBM

I don't object to cannibalizing a unit verse complete replacement.

I once walked into a local Graingers. They didn't sell the item to the "public" (I forget the details of the purchase. It may have been limited by law.)

"I'm from the government!" I say.

"Oh yeah?" he asked. Looking into the computer he pick the Forestry Service and I paid cash.

-- Oren

Oren

If you want to do it on the cheap, follow the advice given.

If it were mine I would replace it with a really good unit. More cost, more trouble, but also more effective, and quieter.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for all the quick input - turned out to be a non-issue, though. When I pulled the motor out and tested it, it was running fine. The fan must have gotten up against its shroud - how, I don't know. Nice when a repair problem ends up costing nothing more than a few minutes of time! (The unit was only a few years old; darn well should've been free)

VMacek

Reply to
vmacekesq

I like it! (Except for the "government") Tom

Reply to
tom

Many NuTone fart fans for the last X years use interchangable motors, especially if they are the ones with the convenience outlet in the box. Take yours out, and carry into a dealer that won't mind opening a box, or letting you pull the covers off the demo units on the panel. Several of them should look about the same, including the crosspiece that holds the motor. Then, just buy the cheapest model that has that motor, and do a transplant. The new trim kit may even fit your old box. I've done transplants like this several times for relatives or in rentals where it wasn't worth dealing with idiot landlord.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Replace the entire unit, I doubt if parts are avail.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Pretty easy job to replace. Parts readily available and certainly less expensive then the whole unit. See here:

Jackson