bathroom reno help

I am a novice DIYer who is attempting a second floor bathroom renovation.I had to move my toilet about 5 feet so I could replace the exising 30inch vanity wih a 42inch one.It was relatively easy to move the toilet as I extended the 3inch ABS toilet drain paralell to the 10 inch floor joists.I removed the existing vinyl flooring, removed a layer of 1/4 inch particle board, and had to cut out pieces of 1/2 inch plywood to move the toilet. Now I have to put the subfloor back together again and install a toilet flange above a 90 degree 3 inch ABS fitting.I want to put a solid subfloor down as I am installing a larger soaker tub and will be laying granite tile.I am stumped/ overwhelmed by how I proceed next. I can't just pull up the existing

1/2 inch plywood and replace with it with--say-3/4 inch plywood because some of the bathroom walls are sitting on the plywood.When I cut part of the subfloor out for the drain I couldnt cut the plywood down the middle of a joist because thats where the plywood was nailed. So if I patch my holes with 1/2 inch plywood and put another 1/2 inch on top, the subfloor will be weak where I patched my holes. The joints of the patch will not be sitting on a joist.Whats the best way to proceed?Also, is it better to lay my subfloor and then cut a hole above the 90 degree bend to install my toilet flange, or extend a piece of abs out of the 90 bend and cut my subfloor around it? Thanks
Reply to
trexxxmeister

You should have, and still could, remove the nails where the plywood sits on the joists and put your seams where they belong. A Cat's Paw is the tool for the job:

Another option is to sister a joist onto the side of the existing joists to give youself a nailing surface.

Cutting the subfloor before installing it over the 90 is probably easier since you'd need to measure it out anyway. Also less chance of mis-measuring and cutting it wrong/damaging the 90.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks for the direction.I think I will cut my hole larger--cutting in the middle of the next joist over. Brent

Reply to
trexxxmeister

I'm curious as to why you didn't just replace the vanity with one the same size and leave the toilet alone.

Reply to
scott21230

Personal preference, perhaps?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I moved a wall and incorporated the space from a closet in an adjoining bedroom into my bathroom. I am trying to make my bathroom bigger. Its the main bathroom in my house and it was tiny--room for one person to stand and thats it.

Reply to
trexxxmeister