Bathroom Caulking

We recaulked our bathroom a few months ago and used the kind that says silicone, mold and mildew resistant, for bathroom and kitchen. It has already begun to discolor.

Would someone please tell me what to use in there when I redo it. That is a job we (husband and I) both hate and really don't want to do it over again. Is there some shortcut to getting the old stuff off? Any helpful suggestions appreciated. I am in Florida where moisture is always a problem. The hard tile grout doesn't do this ... or if it does, Clorox takes care of it.

Reply to
Dottie

almosthandy

On 5 Jul 2006 15:30:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dottie" quickly quoth:

Here ya go, Dottie. The secrets are caulk softener and Tub & Tile caulk. DAP is the brand I've always found at Home Despots and the like.

Another tip is to fill the tub with water before you caulk so it does any settling and opens up the gap. Otherwise, it might pull apart (if the flooring isn't 100%) and let water seep down.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What does the discoloration look like? Is it more mold? One thing I recently learned is that mold many times grows from the inside out out. For example, from behind the tile which is wet due to failed grout joints.

I am in the midst of a bath room project that had greenboard. There was always mold growing. The green board was totally soaked behind the tile.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

I wouldn't panic yet. Mold grows easily behind caulk and will disrupt the seal if it wasn't clean when the caulk put in. Contractor told me to clean with straight bleach and let dry before caulking - worked for me.

Reply to
Norminn

Thanks. I will be careful to clean it good before I re-do it and use Clorox to kill the existing mold.

This is only the area around the shower door, where it meets the tub. I used DAP before....the problem may very well be the way I prepped and applied it rather than what I used.

Reply to
Dottie

If it is on tile, and you can use a razor blade scraper, I would do so. Then take denatured alcohol to be sure you get all the soap scum, as it almost assures failure if left on surface. I don't think brand matters - DAP and GE? are the only memorable brands. I would use only silicone for shower (non-paintable).

Reply to
Norminn