Basement water questions

well every 4 years they get other water in. apparently in a different spot in the basement.

no one has to do anything. maybe being 50 and spending a lifetime of patches today I prefer to do it right, do it once, then forget about it and relax. often its less work hassle and cost.

The contractor who recommended against the weep holes that floors me.

they only do anything if water has infiltrated the wall, and you REALLY DONT want water trapped in the wall.

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, that's what they are. And they are a necessary part of the interior French drain system.

B-Dry (the system I have) puts a thick vinyl cover over the bottom 8 inches or so of the interior wall to cover the weep holes.

On your problem, I think you can probably two-stage it - first, the sump where you have an issue. Then, if you still have an issue - the interior drain system tying into the sump.

Then, as long as you power the pump, you're in good shape.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

yeah they just drain the interior of the block. so water cant get trapped inside them.

at least do the full drain in the areas effected by water, you can add more later

Reply to
hallerb

What you should really understand is the issue with water. I suppose you could say there are 2. Discomfort, and damage.

Sump systems are designed to prevent damage. They remove water pressur on your basement walls, thus avoiding the wall and floor cracks that eventually come from that pressure.

If you dont think you have a pressure problem, and you just want to stop water intrusion, then why not find where it is coming in, and patch the hole. You will be increasing the water pressure on your walls, but if you insist its not a problem and a rare occurance, then so be it.

I hate to find out later though that you cracked a wall/floor rather than put in a proper relief system.

Reply to
dnoyeB

its impossible to completely seal walls and floors that absorb and have cracks and openings from water getting in.

take the typical dry lock paint used on a block wall with water inside it,

eventually the paint will bubble or the wall crack and mold will likely grow on the wall,

your much better off keeping the walls dry and redirecting the water away from your home

Reply to
hallerb

Its a once in a lifetime flood. Who cares! Ignore it, get over it, and get on with life. People are living in temporary housing because there house washed away or has 10' of water in the living room because of that storm. If I were you, I would sit back and relax, and prepare the the next storm in 20 years.

Reply to
dean

Thank you, but I do not need to be reminded how others fared worse than myself and I should just "get over it." I live in a town that floods regularly and we have mulitple FEMA offices because of it. I am fortunate to not live in the flood plain by the rivers. Many have chosen to have their homes reclaimed by the government, after this last episode.

Last month I gave a deposit to the waterproofing contractor and since then have gotten a wide range of opinions and suggestions. Before I spend thousands of dollars I'd like to understand the situation better so I don't open a Pandora's box of other problems.

Thanks again to the people who've taken the time to be helpful.

Vickie

Reply to
Vickie

On

I have NEVER heard of what your considering making the situation worse!

one friend had to have the contractor return and add a run under center of floor, even after all that work a underground stream surfaced there. the contractor did it for free.

later he found that before his home was built a stream ran thru his lot, and had been filled in. no wonder he had troubles.

the extra underground run dried things up permanetely. 5 years later he sold the home the dry basement warranty.

Reply to
hallerb

I was under the impression the owner had to disclose REPAIRS to solve a wet basement, but not necessarily disclose the wet basement itself.

For example, in my house the owner installed their own sump pump. But we quickly found out it's not good enough; in heavy rains we get water in the basement. He claimed in passing they once had water problems and got them fixed. But I don't think this was ever officially disclosed.

Can I go after him to pay for a proper drainage system? How can we prove that he knew about the problem, and that it's not something new that occurred since we bought the house (5 years ago)?

If it's a matter of getting neighbors to rat on him, there's no chance of that, since he was a very popular guy around here...

Reply to
DaveR

no the seller MUST DISCLOSE ANY PROBLEM, and what was done to fix it.

whats the cost to install a proper drain system? obviously the sump wasnt enough.

check with a local lawyer.

when I sold a home a few years ago I was warned no disclose I was on the hook for all repairs the new owner needed if the problem had EVER been a issue in the past.

Reply to
hallerb

Vickie, sometimes the best advice of all is the easiest, to just ignore it. See, won't take long. I was not saying you should ignore it because I didn't want to give an alternative longer solution, I genuinely believed (and still do) that you could indeed ignore it and not spend a penny. Is that not the best solution financially?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Dean

Reply to
dean

nothing is certinally a option. but looking at things the long way. the biggest investment most of us own is our home so its generally a good idea to take care of it.

now waiting awhile after the big flood may get you lower prices, because right now crews are likely very busy.

Reply to
hallerb

It makes sense, but how can they prove it?

If you simply say "we never had that problem before" what can they do?

Reply to
DaveR

Yep - that's the sticky wicket. Burden of proof is on the accuser (and would you have it any other way?)

People say - one can get a previous owner to pay that's terrible just terrible make them pay get a lawyer they should have disclosed (concerning water problems and any number of other problems).

What the lawyer will go through with one is not only the points of the law, but what can be shown in court. The conclusion often is not be the satisfying and lucrative one that people seem to envision when they give this advice.

I had water problems - there was evidence of previous water problems in the house, but no way to show proof that the current sump pump and cove system on one side of the basement to address that, didn't fix it. Basement was mostly finished and in apparent active use. Water was coming in the *other* side - the side with no efflorescence, etc., to show previous problems. So - how do I prove it wasn't a change since I moved in? Get neighbors to turn the previous owner in? But they only moved one county away, and still keep friendships going. And I have to live next to them, pushing too far might give me another set of problems.

So, in practicality, it's buyer beware + fix the problems you do find.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

lots of troubles can be proven, take bad sewer, find plumber had snaked for old owner bam they are on hook, roof leaks, contractor gave estimate 2 years ago, bam old owner on hook. helping a old girl friend who was buying home i called roofer i knew to inspect. he arrived and said need new roof, and chimney needs rebuilt. i said you havent been up there. he said i have been up there 4 times in last 5 years, fixing leaks, why bother climbing up again, roof needs replaced.

Reply to
hallerb

OK, you lucked on the same roofer as the old owner had...

But, how do you know otherwise which tradespeople the old owner used? Once in awhile, there's a service sticker or something, but that may not mean anything. And *they're* not exactly itching to get involved in a lawsuit either.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

The lawyer can subpoena repair records from the previous owner. Perhaps credit card charges or similar stuff looking for plumbing bills related to the water problem. A private investigator can be hired. if the previous owner is caught lying, and compounding it by lying in court, hes gonna pay a nice toll.

Still not easy, but it is doable.

Reply to
dnoyeB

one must be careful the cost to do all this doesnt exceed the cost of repairs.

Reply to
hallerb

??

What plumbing bills would related to a basement moisture intrusion problem ???

Yep. And, I hardly think repair records are like a pilot's flight logs - they're of course not required of a homeowner; there is a good chance nothing like that exists. Even if there are, think of all the DIY, cash transactions, stuff simply left unrepaired. You can spend a pretty penney for not much, very quickly and very likely.

Not that we shouldn't disclose (I certainly plan to - but I have or will correct the problems I know of), or that in some cases an undisclosed problem should be pursued with the previous owner.

But this idea that pops up here in alt.home.repair from time to time that there's always recourse and disclosure laws "protect" one is folly. It really doesn't work that way all that often, and several things need to go in one's favor to be able to prove an intentional non-discosure. The best course is to carefully look over any house considered to be bought, and be prepared (including financially) to make repairs as time goes on.

Banty

Reply to
Banty