Basement Insulation

Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason (health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

Nope, it is Owens Cornings brand of extruded polystyrene foam plastic. Same material used in the meat packing trays and take out food containers. It is treated with bromides to retard burning. There is no outgassing of any chemicals.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can't think of any direct health problems. It might collect dust. White painted gypsum board would reflect light better.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

It probably gets disturbed every time someone walks on the floor upstairs.

I know the jury is still out on fiberglass exposure, but I personally would feel "uncomfortable" with a source directly overhead.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Ed, that wacky tobacco is getting to you again. :-)

Mick,

There is some unconfirmed concern about the glass fibers, but I don't think you have much to worry about. Personally I would likely cover it if it were mine, just to keep things cleaner and neater.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Considering that cheap furnace filters are made out of similar materials and if you open an portable or whole house ac unit you will see similar material in the cabinet, I would not worry about it. If you were going to die from it it is already too late.

Reply to
Art

Considering the asbestos debacle, I would think that if anything was showing up as a problem, they would have stopped using fiberglass in furnace filters long ago.

Reply to
Art

Duh, I was thinking of the pink foam plastic sheets, not the plain old fiberglass.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh. I see. That is different. I seem to remember that it is OK for use without a fire barier, but I would check that. Other than that I don't see a problem. I don't think I would bother covering it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The problem that came to my mind. If he was to staple some plastic under the floor, then the vapor barrier would be on the wrong (unheated) side of the fiberglass.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I believe they are highly flamable and must be covered but check manufacturer's specs to be sure.

Reply to
Art