basement insulation

I have an unfinished basement. These types of cinder block walls tend to seep water. Allthough the wall will be sealed again, I have to decide on the proper way to insulate them after or before drywall is put up. I have seen where solid foam sheets have been put up against the blocks before wall framing. i have also seen regular fiberglass used to unsulate. I don't see major problems with the wall after i get control of the outside drainage. Only one wall may be problematic. i need to start this job!!??

gs

Reply to
zek

gs:

Go to Google.Com and put "basement insulation" into the search engine for just this newsgroup. You'll get plenty of information. Even if you're not going to pull a permit you should check the local zoning rules. Many cities now have them available online or provide handouts at city hall.

Your solution depends on whether its a full basement, what kind of climate you've got, etc You're right about solving the water problem first. Mildew is not your friend.

Good luck and have fun.

dss

Reply to
dss

The Building Sience Corp covers this thoroughly at:

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

Yep. I see there is no easy outs. I got an idea from reading. Cover just the top part with solid insulation. Thats the coldest part, and still lets the wall air our. It would be best to leave some sort of venting if your going to put up drywall, and they say paperless drywall is best for mold reduction. Now what to do about the floor !! Some of the radon treatments may be good.

gs

Reply to
zek