basement floor question

I'm getting some estimates for finishing the basement in my 7-year-old townhouse and am coming up with more questions than answers when it comes to what kind of flooring to put down over the concrete. I don't want to put down carpet but I'd like something not too cold underfoot. Hardwood is too expensive and I don't like the look of pergo. Ceramic tile seems too cold. I'm thinking about 12 x 12 linoleum squares but is there a way I can make it so the floor isn't too cold?

Reply to
I & H Prees

"Cold" as you describe it, is the rate at which heat is conducted away from your feet. So ceramic tile will be "cold". Mr Bobst's suggestion of cork would work and some true linolium in color could work. However, I'd check manufacturer's recommendations for installation below grade and on concrete.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

They actually make heaters to install under tile flooring and it actually helps in heating your house in the winter too if you live such a region.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Some of the "big box" stores carry carpet tile, which is a good "fit" for amateur installation in dry basements. I work for one manufacturer of carpet tile (we don't offer DIY products yet), and have one of our carpet tile products in my basement playroom. It is soft underfoot, and offers several options if you damage a tile (got kids?) or if a corner of your basement gets wet. I'd recommend it for your application. Even if it is a competitor's product. :-(

I'm sure when ours comes out, it'll be better than theirs anyway.. ;-)

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

If you think your floor is going to get wet periodically, go for the thick, commercial style, vinyl tiles. My house was built in 1950 and still has most the original tiles.

Reply to
Childfree Scott