Basement Breaker Trips

This has happened for the second time in last One week . Both these days we had rain and both these adys we went to basement and did some work (usually we donot frequent basement). The breaker that trip is associated with Sump Pump, a few lights in Basement.

The first time it tripped , I on'ed it again an Sump pump drained out water from basement for around 45 minutes (with gaps varying from 1 minutes to subsequently 5 minutes). When it tripped the second time, no activity was noticed on sump pump, and it continues to work for now.

I donot know at this stage, as to why is the breaker tripping. Never happended before.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
AT

Two immediate thoughts come to mind. There is a problem with the sump pump or there is a problem with the circuit breaker. Try connecting the sump pump to an outlet on another circuit and see what happens the next time it rains.

I suggest that you have a separate circuit installed for the sump pump. There is also the possibility that you are overloading the circuit with the lights, sump pump, and whatever else is on that circuit. That would explain the breaker tripping.

Reply to
John Grabowski

When breakers get old, they can get weak. Replace breaker with same amperage, and see if problem continues.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re: When breakers get old, they can get weak. Replace breaker with same amperage, and see if problem continues.

Or just swap the hot wire with one from another breaker. If the same

*breaker* trips, replace the breaker. If the same *circuit* trips, it's time for further investigation.

BTDT - it was the breaker.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some possible explanations:

  1. Worn pump with excessive current draw when starting up

  1. Faulty breaker with occasional false tripping

  2. Few lights on same circuit as pump adding excessive draw on breaker

  1. Current leakage due to dampness causing GFCI breaker to trip (not supposed to use a GFCI breaker on pump but one may be there)

  2. Wiring / plug / outlet issue

Smarty

Smarty

Reply to