Baseboards

I want to install baseboards in a room that is a garage conversion. Since the bottom of the wall is cement blocks I cannot nail them in place. The bottom of the drywall is glued to the blocks. It was never framed to the floor. What would be the best adhesive to use for this or is there another way to do this?

Reply to
powersdov

Any construction adhesive should do. Liquid Nails is a popular brand.

Support the baseboard with tape while the adhesive dries. A fast-drying formula might let you skip the tape.

Reply to
SteveBell

Are you sure that there are no furring strips behind the drywall? I'd be concerned about moisture wicking through the blocks and damaging the drywall.

I've added furring strips to the upper framing and extended them down over the block to keep the drywall away from the block.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Construction adhesive such as Liquid Nails. You can hold the molding in place with weights until the adhesive sets. I have used sandbags and they worked well.

Reply to
Phisherman

That's why they make cement nails. You can also drill, put plastic inserts and screws. It's not difficult.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

re: That's why they make cement nails. You can also drill, put plastic inserts and screws. It's not difficult.

To install baseboard? Seem like overkill and a lot of labor for something a little Liquid Nails can handle in a matter of minutes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why don't they glue a house together?

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Because it wouldn't work.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, it isn't ONLY glue, but they do glue houses together now, and have for a decade or two. Glue-lam beams, and structural members and panels made from what used to be considered trash wood, formed into sheets and framing. And when they assemble it, they glue it together, along with the nails. (Not sure how well nails stick in wood made out of glued and compressed chips- I suspect the adhesive does most of the holding work once it cures.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

There's a wooden house in Canada held together with yellow carpenters glue. If done right the joints are stronger than the wood itself.

Reply to
Phisherman