baseboard heaters on 30 A circuit

Greetings,
Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit? If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft? Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?
Thanks again,
William
Reply to
William.Deans
There are many different sizes of "standard" heaters. What is hte rating?
If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
Not with a 30A breaker
Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?
I have no idea what you mean.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
In this case the heaters are rated at 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000W depending on if they are 2/4/6/8 feet long.
Some breakers allow multiple wires to be connected to them.
Reply to
William.Deans
Possibly. The instructions should tell you the maximum breaker you can use. I expect it is a 20a, but maybe not.
You can't put #12 on a circuit protected by a 30a breaker.
Reply to
Toller
I have a Square D breaker right here. The clamp where you attach the load wire has places to connect 2 wires There's some markings on the side that show 2 wires for 14 to 10 gauge, but only 1 for 8 gauge.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Site Timeline Threads