Barbecue Grill burner replacements

re: "I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a gas grill"

Because 12 minutes after I started the grill this morning I had a nice medium steak alongside 2 over-easy eggs and some whole grain toast - cooked on the grill and side burner.

Because 10 minutes after I decide to have a burger or sausage, I'm eating said burger or sausage.

Because I need the whole grill and a little more temperature control when cooking pizza on the grill.

Because I use my grill at least one a week, even in mid-winter, for "single servings".

Because grilled pineapple is a great - and quick - appetizer even when the rest of the meal is being cooked in the kitchen.

I could go on, and I'm not trying to convince you that gas is better than charcoal, I'm just trying to help you "figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a gas grill".

My Weber kettle is under the deck and comes out quite often, but for ease of use and quick-turnaround, a gas grill sure is convenient. That's why we "go to the trouble."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think my neighbour has it figured right - he picked up a BBQ someone had set out to the curb, stripped out the burners, and uses charcoal on the rock grid. Good cast aluminium housing on a decent stand, works great! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'll bet it's inexpensive if you compare it to the same size grill from Weber, Jennaire or Viking, I see run of the mill grills made in China at Costco. They are OK for the price as long as you realize what you are getting. I bought a Charmglow or Charbroil can't remember which at Lowes. It's half the price of a Weber, but then I also realized what I'm getting and don't expect it to last as long. I can also tell you that the heat distribution is far superior on the Weber. in the sense that it is uniform. For what I use it for and using some common sense, it works fine. But I won't be looking for longlife replacement parts for it.

Reply to
trader4

Or not, You basically have two choices. Buy big box throwaway quality where they went to the ChiComs and said make us 100,000 grills as cheaply as possible or you go for better quality. I bought a quality grill and it is ~ 17 years old and it still is in really good condition.

Reply to
George

So, tell us

1) What grill did you buy 2) How much did you pay 3) What was the material for burners and grates 4) What did you have to replace in the grill 5) How much do you use your grill
Reply to
Ignoramus9410

I put a SS burner in mine about 4 years ago. No problems so far but cant really say as the original ones lasted for 8.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Gerald Miller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Charbroil used to make a nice charcoal grill that had the cast aluminum housing,with cast iron cooking grids and a moveable coal grate so you can bring the coals closer to or away from the cooking grids.It had a removeable ash drawer to make emptying the grill easier,and you could close up the grill and put out the coals for later reuse.Sears also sold the same unit under their brandname.

I have one,but the cooking grids have rusted away. I made replacements for the coal grid and ash drawer after they rusted away. It's at least 25 years old.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hmm, spend 45 minutes replacing the burners once every 8 years....

or...

Spend 45+ minutes building a charcoal fire every day to grill a couple of burgers...

Tough choice.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I went direct to the manufacturer for my burner. The 800 number was on the front of the grill. New burner was somewhere around $12.00 IIRC, the same in SS was $1.00 more. I went for the SS.

Why do they even bother to offer plain steel?

It was (is) a cheapy department store grill.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I have been thinking about doing this any cooking hints?

Reply to
Stephen B.

The general concept shown here is correct, except that with practice you can get a golden brown crust, not the charred wreck they ended up with.

The "trick" is to brown one side the crust, which will stiffen it up, then flip it over, put your toppings on the browned side and then brown the other side while the toppings cook.

I always brush my dough with olive oil before grilling and I remove my crust while adding the toppings. That way the toppings have more time to cook while the crust browning.

Google around for topping suggestions. The possibilities are endless. You can't get pretty exotic.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hmm, spend 45 minutes replacing the burners once every 8 years....

or...

Spend 45+ minutes building a charcoal fire every day to grill a couple of burgers...

Tough choice.

I have both charcoal and gas BBQs. the charcoal is both an offset smoker and you can use a grill over the charcoal to cook. Why both? Charcoal does a better tasting grill and gas so the wife can BBQ or I just want to do chicken and do not want to wait for the wood fire.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Ummm... I've had pizza cooked in a backyard wood-fired pizza oven; we did it by tossing the dough, putting toppings on while it was on a pizza peel, and then the pizza was slid into the oven (and later, of course, slid out).

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you can smell it for miles. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

From my experience with walking by good restaurants, I think you mis-spelled :)

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Who said it was good? Do you like the smell of burning oak and pizza crust?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:46:01 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote Re Re: Barbecue Grill burner replacements:

Man, that has got to be expensive unless they have a source of *very* cheap firewood.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

If the crust is burning, no. If it's cooking, yes.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

it smells like pieces of the crust are left in the oven, till they completely burn away. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FWIW, has anyone considered a fully ceramic grate?

One approach would be to bond pre-made ceramic rods with an ordinary pottery clay, which could be fired as an assembly, then moved as a unit.

Another would be to cast/mould a grate-like assembly in a sheet, dry, fire, glaze, and use it both as the heat diffuser and as a food grill in a gas- fired grill (or charcoal).

'Tis hardly metalworking, but metals don't usually hold up well in that environment.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh