Bad neutral on 220VAC from pole to house. Every appliance ruined.

If they collect from the utility company you'll get your deductible and quite likely "no-claim" status back. If not, it's time to find another insurance company.

Reply to
krw

Which is exactly why I have my computer and all its components on a power strip and when I turn it off, it's completely off. My electric bill is high enough. Think I'll start doing the same with the tv's if they are always drawing power. I dont know why they make things that way. Apparently they are in cahoots with the electric utilities. Yeah, I suppose it saves a few seconds of time starting them...... like I care if the tv takes a few extra seconds to warm up !!!!

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

The IR receiver in the TV does have to be active, to be able to respond to an ON command from a remote control. Some TVs have clocks in them, another need for continuous power.

I wish they'd work properly with hard power switches. Many forget to come on.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most CRT-based TVs from the last several decades keep the heaters in the CRT somewhat warm when the TV is "off". It speeds warmup and also reduces thermal shock to the heater.

My TV also loses its channel programming when the power is off. That might be less common these days, since flash RAM is cheap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I don't think I've ever seem one that actually lost the channel programming, but I have seen one (an RCA set made about 1981*) that would always be on the lowest numbered programmed channel (probably 2 if you get that) after a power failure.

Most seem to remember everything except that they're supposed to be on. In this case interfering with use with a cable box (with switched outlet, as used to be common). You'd still need the TV's remote.

  • RCA sets from that time wouldn't work with universal remote controls. We had to get a factory replacement for about (*instead of the ones at Wal-Mart).
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've never seen one that didn't, and we've had a variety of brands. It is a real PITA living in a somewhat rural area, where power failures are a little more frequent. I don't mind using auto set, but nuking the Spanish language / no interest channels is time consuming.

Reply to
Eric in North TX