Backup for a Sump Pump

Can't comment on that specifically (although it Will work for as long as the battery holds out), but I have to wonder if, given that you don't think you can survive a brief power outage without the sump, you have other drainage issues that ought to be addressed.

Reply to
Mark

If I felt the need of a back up, I would look into a full back up. That is use a 12V batter and a 12V pump. After all you have a good chance of a pump failure as well as an electric failure. They make these for boats that you can use, or systems designed as backup for home units including battery chargers etc.

My question is this. If you need a backup, how much of a back up do you really need. Is a single 12V battery really going to handle it. Sure it will pump out the sump a few times, but then what?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You should check into a water pressure backup pump such as a Base Pump. Don't put all your faith into a 12 volt battery if your power goes out.

Reply to
Joe

Has anyone in the group used an inverter, 12V battery, & battery charger to provide sort of a poor man's UPC for a sump pump backup? Would love to hear your successes or failures (so I don't repeat them).

Reply to
Newby

The problem area is the basement of a 50 year old church. According to what I have been told their pump cycles 3 or 4 times per day during normal weather: less during a dry spell, and of course more when there is heavy rain. I plan to run some cycles to see how long a deep cycle battery (105 AH) will run their pump without re-charging the battery.

Thanks for your comment.

Reply to
Newby

Good thought. The pump has to 'lift' the water about 8 or 9 feet before it gets it out to a storm drain. Will a 12V bilge pump lift the water that high?

Reply to
Newby

They do make 12V sumps just for the backup purpose - "ace in the hole" is a popular brand. Most Home Depots and the like carry these right next to the "regular" sump pumps.

Reply to
Steven T King

Around here people are building quite litterally in the middle of wetlands. Thier sump pumps run all year round, and non-stop during the spring. They have them ducted all the way out to the ditch at the road, so you can see that they contantly run. I saw them digging a new foundation the other day, and they had pumps running just to keep the hole they were digging dry. I'd never buy a house that had feet that wet, but then maybe I'm just strange.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

In article , Steven T King wrote: >They do make 12V sumps just for the backup purpose - "ace in the hole" is a >popular brand. Most Home Depots and the like carry these right next to the >"regular" sump pumps. >

Are there sump pump with a gasoline engine avaiable as a backup? The pump must be put outside during a bad weather, and be able to go to idle when the sump pit is empty.

Y.

Reply to
Yi Jin