Auto batteries

You would think it would be stored in memory without needing a battery. Some cars adapt to the way you drive and store somethings in memory. When you disconnect the battery it looses this memory and the engine runs sort of rough for a while.

Then again, with the experiances I have had in industrial electronics, even the very high dollar computer systems will have a glich in them, have to have the power cut off and back on to reset them. Some would loose all their memory and have to be reprogrammed. For others it was like a computer reboot and starting from a known point in the programming. We had two pieces of equipment that anytime something went wrong, the first thing todo was to cut the power ,count to 10 and turn th epower back on. This fixec the problem in many cases.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

philo? wrote in news:m729mj$ntd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Back many decades ago when I was a teenager I was working on the battery under the front seat of my car (37 or 40-something Plymouth probably) and the wrench I was using on a battery terminal touched my class ring and the ring touched the car body. I wanked off that ring and threw it! Never did find it.

- - - You know it's time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.

Reply to
KenK

When I was in High School and took my very first shop class, I was taught /never/ to wear jewelry or ties when doing work.

A lesson I still observe to this day.

Reply to
philo

Never had any luck with Delco batteries...will never buy them again. Don't know who makes Chryco but their batteries are crap as well. ====

Reply to
Roy

Maintenance Free batteries were a very stupid idea. But for the battery companies it meant they sold more batteries because those which were still usable were being tossed. Just another example of waste in our throw away society. I suppose enough people complained, forcing them to go back to the RIGHT WAY!!!!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

6 months is not long, but at least it didnt' need any maintenance.
Reply to
micky

As I said, I got 11 yrs from the MF Delco and batteries are all re-cycled...where's the grief?

Reply to
bob_villa

I've hauled more than one load of junk batteries to the recyclers. From watching the skids go by as they loaded the truck, every brand was represented. The only differentiation was golf cart batteries. They're worth a little more so they were handled separately.

Reply to
rbowman

I think it's because Johnson Controls dominates the market more than before, and JC has long favored low-maintenance batteries over maintenance-free. 10-20 years ago it seemed their only maintenance- free brand was Eveready, but apparently all their current batteries are maintenance-free, according to the person who answered the phone at the number listed on my Walmart battery, who worked for JC, not Walmart.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Oren posted for all of us...

Power Sonic

Interstate

Reply to
Tekkie®

Percival P. Cassidy posted for all of us...

I agree with this but remember they are all made to spec.

Reply to
Tekkie®

not interstate! I bought one from a auto parts store, occasionally it would start the car:( it would be dead, but by the time I got it to the auto pa rts store it tested fine....

finally just replaced the battery one day, it was just a few months old

sat it in my garage and forgot about it.

enter a old friend who saw and asked about it. sure take it.

he cut it apart and found a plate that would apparently short occasionally.

sent a letter to interstate, never heard back from them.

thats the only brand new battery that ever failed.

Reply to
bob haller

Well, I've been buying and selling batteries since 1969 for myself and customers (25 years in the automotive service business) and the only Interstate batteries I've ever used were the Megatrons - and I've never had a problem. The only batteries I ever had significant problems with were the early AC Delco Freedom batteries and the lifetime warranted Canadian Tire batteries (had 3 fail within a 5 year period) Used to sell a lot of Exide batteries way back, and a lot of private branded Crowns. Other than the Megatrons I have not bought any automotive batteries over the last 15 years or so.The last 3 megatrons went with the vehicles they were installed in when I sold them at about 8 years of age (the batteries, not the vehicles). Actually, 2 were 8 or more years old, the third was about 4 years old.. My brother's shop carried the Interstates so when I needed batteries I bought from him. Since he's moved out of town I'll likely go back to the private branded Crowns from the distributor I buy my UPS batteried from.(where I bought most of my batteries when I was in "the business" siince 1968)

Reply to
clare

Several years ago I had two of them, bought almost at the same time from Costco. They both died on the same day at just at one year of age. I don't think CostCo carried them for more then one contract cycle. I used to see them on people's return carts all the time.

Do you have any experience with WalMart batteries? I needed a battery for my PT a couple weeks ago on a Sunday and the only place I could find a battery that fit was a Walmart. 24 month "Free" replacement period. The car is five years old and I just put the third battery in it. (Original, then another OEM under warranty at 2 years, now the walmart)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Third in five years? I've not had an OEM go that fast in ages. I've bought batteries from WalMart and they work as well as any other. I bought a few for the fork trucks at work as well as a pickup and a car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski