Asphalt roof coating fibered ..bad?

Last fall I bought a 5 Gal pail of "Asphalt roof coating fibered" from Home Depot, intending to inspect and seal off suspicious roof areas on some flat roofs. Never got the chance, so for the heck of it I scooped some into a few driveway cracks instead. I was disappointed to see after 5,6,7 days the stuff was still very soft ..and even prone to some water wash out in light rain. I don't think I would EVER use this stuff on a roof leak when you only get a period of maybe a couple of days between rain storms. There must be something better ..with a tighter bond and quicker to set up. Ideas? (Readily available please, ..not obscure stuff no one carries). Thanks.

Reply to
M.Burns

I don't know about HD's generic stuff, but have used Henry's Wet Patch Roof Repair, available in most hardware stores.. It works well, but does indeed take a long time to fully dry, but in the meantime, while setting, repels water quite well. Part of the reason it stays waterproof is that it takes ages to fully set up, keeping the patch flexible and less prone to cracking, and therefore leaking. I buy it in caulk-gun style tubes. It has a long shelf life, is cheap, has fibre in it, and even works patching gaps and leaks in plastic rain gutters. It can be applied to a wet or dry roof. The main thing is, the surface needs to be very clean, before applying. BTW, I don't think patching a concrete driveway is a very good "test" of the product. I would go ahead and try it on the roof.

Reply to
Rodger

the roof coating you are using isnt really made to repair leaks. it is used to protect the roof from the elements and to allow thw roof to last longer

Reply to
PAUL100