Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ?

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

"Hardtop" is a kind of car...but I have heard of "blacktop".

Reply to
Bob Villa

Bob Villa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I thought "blacktop" was asphalt. "Hardtop" is gray, on account of the gravel rolled into the tar.

Reply to
Tegger

[...]

That's funny -- I thought it was the war to hold the Union together, and secondarily to free the slaves.

=A0[...]

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I haven't seen that yet, except for tar and chip or whatever they call that. Actually I knew of one road that when paved it must have had way too much tar and not enough stone. On some of the hotter summer days they would coat it with stone but I don't recall if they rolled it or let the cars do the work. As far as I know they were still adding stone after 6 or 7 years and it was still turning somewhat liquid on the hottest days.

Reply to
Tony

replying to Tegger, Jake wrote: We call that Tar and Chip or Shot and Chip around here (NW Pennsylvania) very popular on the back roads that get traveled enough to get away from dirt and its cheap to repair/replace when the snow plows tear into it

Reply to
Jake