Asbestos testing in apartment (Bay Area, CA)

Hi:

I live in an apartment in the SF Bay area and have been told by the management that the ceiling is known to contain asbestos but is not a danger since airborne testing has not shown any present.

I have recently noticed some cracks in the ceiling and I am concerned whether this poses any danger. Is the apartment management required to do any airborne testing in these conditions ? Or do I need to report this to some Govt. agency ?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
k007

What kind of ceiling? The popcorn looking stuff?

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Yes, that's the kind.

-K

Reply to
k007

Relax. It has been in many homes and has not been shown to be a problem. Quantity is miniscule and is encapsulated in the paint. A couple of cracks will make no difference either. Landlord has no more obligation that I'd be aware of.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't know about requirements, but if you're concerned, you could always have air samples taken and tested. You'll foot the bill on them, though. I did this on some ductwork insulation in my home not long ago and the testing was about $60, but I took my own samples. For your situation, I think air samples require some specialized equipment and you'll likely pay a bit more to have someone come to your apartment and collect them.

Reply to
louie

In my experience, asbestos is worrisome when it becomes airborne due to active disturbance. In fact, I have heard that if you come across asbestos tile floors, it is acceptable to tile over them to keep the asbestos from entering the air.

The cracks in the ceiling material have probably not disturbed the asbestos above enough to make it airborne. However, management should come in right away and fix that if you let them know about it. This is particularly true in light of their potential liability.

Good luck,

John Churchill Builder and Instructor at Emory University Author of

Churchill

It's not worth stressing over, but if the landlord is receptive to this sort of thing, you might ask them to paint over it (with an HVLP sprayer of some kind) if that hasn't been done before. Covering it up is safest if you're worried about it. No fibers enter the air as long as it's undisturbed so avoid having it removed while you're living there.

Most everyone has lived in a house with that type of ceiling at some time or another. We're still living.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Asbestos is only a concern when particles get in the air. If you want to satisfy yourself, take a black bed sheet and suspend it a little below the ceiling. Then check it in about a week.

Reply to
Bob

I was under the impression that the asbestos particles are extremely small and not visible to the naked eye.

I will see if the apartment management is willing to do a test. Otherwise, can someone recommend any place that does airborne asbestos testing in the bay area ?

Thanks!

Reply to
k007

They come in all different sizes, but even the small ones will show up as white dust on a black bed sheet.

Reply to
Bob

If you are that concerned, move out. Seriously, it is not worth fretting over, but that is up to you, not me. If you are going to be stressed everytime you are sitting in your apartment, you'd be in far better health elsewhere. The asbestos may not get you, but stress kills fast. Don't set yourself up for a stroke.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Bennett Price

You're lucky. The World Trade Tower that was hit LAST came down FIRST (by more than an hour) because it did not have its structural members coated with asbestos. You are safer from the ravages and death from fire because of your asbestos.

Lucky devil.

Reply to
HeyBub