Asbestos Popcorn Removal Question

Thanks. I'll run a damp rag along the walls while the furniture is still out of the room and make sure I do a good job vacuuming the carpets. Sounds like I don't have much to worry about.

Reply to
Ninja67

I was just wondering why you checked this AFTER doing the work. Sometimes, I ask how old people are in these situations, but that doesn't go over well with most people for some reason.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The "job" of the water is just this: To keep dust clinging to the stuff you remove, rather than the dust floating around the room.

If you're a new homeowner, here's a job for you: Open the yellow pages and look for hardware stores. Not Home Depot. Not Lowe's. Real, locally owned hardware stores. Type up a list of those stores, with addresses and phone numbers. Print 3 copies. One for your refrigerator, one for the glove box in the car, and one more in case you lose the others. Every time you need something for home repair, visit one of those stores, even if it's completely out of your way and you happen to be at a red light, staring at a nice, convenient Home Depot. When you find a hardware store whose people seem to know the answers to every problem you ask about, patronize that store forever so it stays in business.

Speaking of lead paint, if you find you have it, don't go nuts trying to remove it. If it's in good shape (adhering, not falling off), just paint over it to seal it. And, kids who eat paint chips are a sign of a very serious parenting problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Either way, exposure is minimal. Get on with your life. Your mistake was not asking about all this first, and diving into the project without knowing about it or taking any precautions.

Are you going to think ahead next time?

Maybe that's the best thing to come of this.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Generally, I place more value on friends who have done a job before and are standing next to me showing me how to do something than I do on Internet searches. Nothing wrong with the Internet, I just didn't see the need to look it up at the time. After he left and I had a question, I jumped online to get it answered. It's nearly impossible to find a web site detailing the removal procedure of popcorn without a bunch of disclaimers about the dangers of asbestos.

That's when I started to think, "hmmm... maybe my kids shouldn't be playing in this room for a day or two."

Reply to
Ninja67

I understand that, but I'm not sure how well it worked since the popcorn wouldn't absorb the water. The water just bounced off of it like it was waterproofed. I'm guessing it's due to coat after coat of paint being applied to it over the years.

Not a bad suggestion, but I think you're too focused on the philosophy and not the specific problem. Rather than just address my questions, you're assuming that this is normal behavior for me when you don't know anything about me. I don't make a habit out of starting projects without research. In fact, I typically do so much research that I never start the project. This was a very unusual case where a buddy and I were talking about removing it and he said, "I've done it many times. How about we stop talking about it and just knock it out right now while I'm here." For a six pack of beer and an offer to watch the Superbowl on my 52" Plasma, I thought having him help me remove the ceiling was a pretty good deal.

No lead paint in my house that I know of. If there is, it has been painted over many many times.

Reply to
Ninja67

Just making sure you do the research in the right place. I've got 3 amazing hardware stores within 10 minutes of my home, and their personnel never cease to amaze me. A plumbing supply place, too, which has saved at least two weekends from turning into train wrecks. The internet only goes so far.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I own up to this "mistake". We all make them. I'm not lying in bed wondering if I'll live or die; I'm at work "getting on with my life."

I hope so. But if you're best friend and you were sitting in your den watching the game and he says to you, "Hey, I do that for a living and could knock that small project of yours out during the half time game." Would you tell him, "Well, okay but only after I go into the computer room and do some research to make sure you aren't overlooking something... you know in case you suck at your job or something."

See my response to JoeSpareBedroom. This was an isolated incident and I don't expect it to happen again, but who knows. It really doesn't matter. I'm looking for solutions to this single asbestos prolem, not a therapist.

Perhaps. There are always multiple lessons to be learned in any event.

Reply to
Ninja67

Funny how even just good house keeping can reduce the levels of foreign mater in a home. Hopefully the vacuum gets used daily, and the right air filter is purchased for the furnace.

Disclaimer: Not an asbestos expert.

tom @

LayPerson Tom

Asbestos. Aluminum wiring. Is your house built atop an abandoned sludge pit or cemetery too?

You can hope for the best.

The testing company got your name and credit card number. For all I know, they get a reward from the state for snitching you out. Or, more likely, from shysters looking to add you - involuntarily if necessary - to a class-action suit.

Burlington-Northern Railroad? Knock-knock.

Reply to
HeyBub

Unlike the rest of life, in this case Orwell was right: ignorance is strength. If you had taken down the ceiling without ever questioning or testing, you'd be free and clear in so many ways.

(1) Yes, you've exposed everyone in the house to asbestos, but most likely not at a level even close enough to cause medical problems with the spouse and kids. Take the precautions outlined in other messages - cleaning the room, duct cleaning, replacing your air filter regularly and promptly.

(2) What have you done with the waste from the project? Now that you know it contains asbestos, you can't just take it to the local landfill, legally. Knowingly dumping the material is a violation of Bob-knows how many state and federal laws regarding the disposition of hazardous materials. CYA if you haven't done so already and look into a disposal company. It may seem a total pain in the keester but it will protect you from lawsuits/fines.

Reply to
Kyle

I'm sorry. I might have missed it. But the last time I saw, the OP was meaning to take it in for sampling, or going to take it in for sampling, but hadn't yet.

Was this ever tested?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Not needed. Please, look up the regulations. Thee are many forms of asbestos that just have to be bagged and landfilled. There is nothing unsafe about asbestos in this form. Only friable asbestos is a problem. Skin contact will NOT harm you. Educating yourself about asbestos will calm your fears.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Again, and I repeat myself ..........

was this ever tested?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Try reading the post.

"Then last night I discover that the material probably contains asbestos so I took it into a testing center today and indeed it does"

Reply to
Bob F

Where is the asbestos going to go in a couple of days?

And then you vacuum and spray it into the air again. Only HEPA vacuums would prevent this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

If it were me I (and this is what I have done) is to use a shop vac vented to the outside without a filter. (shop vac with a 20' hose)

Its basically sucking out everything and getting it all out.

Then I would wipe the walls and surfaces down.

Reply to
tksirius

Did you decide on a course of action? If not at least isolate the room and the HVAC vents in and out of the room so that the asbestos containing dust isn't spread around your home.

If you look at the first photo there you can see how plastic might be setup and read a bit about how we removed it in a hotel. Toss a post here if you need some additional help to get started, I'm in Hawaii, so our regulations are probably nominally different but not remarkably so. The asbestos in popcorn texture is generally 2-5% chrysotile, which isn't the worst possible asbestos. If you did nothing else but wet wipe all the exposed surfaces, and HEPA vacummed, you would eliminate close to 90% of the problem (barring extensive contamination in your air ducts).

By the way in most places asbestos wastes from residential sources isn't closely regulated so don't lose a lot of sleep over that. Unless you are dumping the asbestos waste in the street or on your neighbours property you probably haven't broken any laws. Once again drop a note here if you have any unanswered questions.

Aloha, Edwin

Reply to
edwin_boyette