April Air Humidifier

I have an April Air Model 224 humidifier. Water continues to run even with the furnace off. I don't think the problem is with the humidistat. I can hear it clicking on and off. The only way to stop the water flow is to shut off the water flow with the saddle valve. I think it may be the solenoid valve which should be easy to replace. Am I on the right track?

Reply to
Marc

probably. Meter the wires going to the solenoid. If they are dead then the solenoid is stuck. If they have 24VAC on them then the relay board is bad. Really not much else to them. (I'm ASSuming the 224 is similar to the 760 with which I'm familiar.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You could also try cleaning out the solenoid, but if it won't close with no voltage on it, it's probably bad or even if you free it up, it's likely to seize again. If it turns out the solenoid is bad, I have a working used one from a 760. Not sure if it's the same, but you can probably figure it out from AA website. If so and you're interested in it, email me and we can work out something.

Reply to
trader4

Most common failure is the valve getting cruded up from minerals in the water. I havent had much luck with trying to clean one and tthey can be fairly expensive. The last time I replaced mine I installed an inline water filter like the ones you use on a refridgerator and havent had to change it since. Those saddle valves are also next to worthless. They are made for lazy plumbers.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I'd follow Nate's instruction,however it is also possible that whatever the unit uses to sense and regulate the water, for example a float switch or grounding probe, could also be at fault

Reply to
RBM

Actually, no need for a meter. Just pull one of the wires (wire nut) off one side of the solenoid. If water still runs, replace the solenoid. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba