Anyone using a carbon fiber door?

Just curious... would it be better than hard wood?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Thinking that you would never see one unless on a modern airplane. Carbon fiber is expensive and only useful where weight saving is important.

Reply to
Frank

Certain HOA's have strict weight limits for construction of houses in their developments. Many people have had to choose between granite counter tops and wooden doors in order to meet the weight requirements. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 19/08/16 19:35, Frank wrote: >

How about making the door frame? Would it be economical as well as durable?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

That's because if the house is too heavy the whole development would crash through the earth's crust and create a giant sink hole that would swallow near by land for miles, right? It would be similar to Guam capsizing like the dumb-shit Hank Johnson fears may happen.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

What is the goal here?

When you say "better than hard wood", what do you mean by "better"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can carbon fiber be used to make a strong, durable door frame?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

That really doesn't seem like an answer to either of my questions.

In any case, to answer *your* question: Yes...carbon fiber be used to make a strong, durable door frame. So can wood, steel and many other materials.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mr. Man-wai Chang posted for all of us...

Depending on what your definition of "better" is?

You would have to find someone to engineer, fabricate and install the door and frame. I would take a WAG and say it would be 5+ times the price of a premium door. Do you think the payout is there? I don't. Like DD says someone slams the door and it toasts the door and person.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thank you for the support, but I did not mean to imply that a carbon fiber door or door frame would act the same way in the cold as a composite softball bat d oes. I was merely relaying a story about composite bats in response to the explo ding race car comment.

A slammed door would create a totally different set of forces than the sing le point of contact a 40-60 MPH softball creates when hitting a swinging bat. I can't say whether anything would shatter or not when the door us slammed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03