Another TV antenna question

I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Hi, I wouldn't worry at that height.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
buffalobill

Myself - I'd give it a ground rod. It may not be the highest thing around, but it is a conductor. My brother had a light pole, lower than surrounding trees, hit by lightening messing up several of his appliances. Frank

Reply to
Frank

You need to follow the local codes. I would want it grounded, but I tend to be very concerned about things like lighting. We get a lot of it around here. I had my A/C knocked out be a strike once and I was about to buy a home and in the two days between the time I had decided to buy and when I was able to get a hold of the realtor, it had been struck by lightning and suffered great damage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I thought we settled this yesterday. The antenna mast should be connected to a ground rod. The cable should have a lightning arrestor connected to a ground rod near where it enters the building. If either one of these is too far to be easily tied to the existing ground, then I would use seperate grounds.

At 7 ft, it's not nearly the risk of a chimney mounted mast, but it still has some risk, and I would do it right.

Reply to
trader4