Another Ceiling Fan Question

A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan, with a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually due to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. Can I still dim the light on the ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? My gut feeling tells me no, but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Yes, every time I install any fan with a remote receiver that sits in the canopy. You have to make sure the bevelled edge of the receiver is facing down, make up the ground and 5 receiver connections then push the wire nuts up into the box as best you can, then tie wrap the loose wires together at the sides of the receiver. Then pray. It's always a PITA, but I've never not been able to make them fit

This will work if the feed and switch leg are both located in the ceiling box. If there is only a single two wire cable in the box, the wall switch would have to be on for any power to be at the fan.

Reply to
RBM

Years ago I got a decorative round extender cover that gave extra room for all that mess, its about 2" lower , HD has decorative covers , maybe those will give you extra room for wires but they look thin, Most-all? dimmers say not for motors but on one old fan I use one and it worked for years, I even use X10 light modules for a table fan to slow it, its lasted 3 years so far. You should be able to find a decorative cover that will give room for wires, a remote is best.

Reply to
ransley

*As RBM said it is a pain, but doable to get those receiver wires into the box. Tuck as much as you can into the ceiling box. Use the tiny wire nuts that come with the remote. Sometimes I have to curl the wires around the fan bracket and let the canopy cover them up.

If you use the fan with the dimmer the dimmer will control the fan speed as well unless you are able to wire the motor directly to a hot leg in the box or a separate switch.

BTW are you hanging this fan on a fan rated box or are you using the existing electrical box in the ceiling?

Reply to
John Grabowski

re: My current light switch is on a dimmer.

It's not entirely clear if you are replacing an existing fan or just a simple light fixture. (I'm guessing it's just a light)

The reason I say this is that if you have a dimmer for the light and a separate switch for the fan, then, yes, you can use the dimmer for the lights.

If you just have the dimmer then even if the dimmer will work with the fan motor, you'll be stuck with a device that will have low light at slow fan speeds and bright light at high fan speeds. In other words, you won't have independent control of either device, which I'm guessing is going to be pretty inconvenient.

P.S. Are you ready to add another device that is going to cause you to say "Where's that d*mn remote?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't give up on the remote. It's a must-have. Make it work. I had some problems stuffing the wires in, but eventually got it to go.

Reply to
Bob M.

We were using the existing electrical box, as the fan only weighs 14 lbs. But, we twisted the existing plastic box and it cracked. So, now we will be putting the right box in, that is made to hold a heavy fan so I can later put in a heavier fan if need be.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Right now, I have just a light fixture. I am removing that, and adding a ceiling fan, that has a light fixture in it.

I know, I decided I could live with finding the remote everytime I need to turn the fan or the fan light on.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Kate