alt.hobbies.beekeeping

There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping, anyone know any beekeepers?

I've got a few questions about bees.

Reply to
generation A

I'm a beekeeper . My reply-to is good if you 'd like to take this ffline - I don't check it often , so give me a heads-up here if you email me and I'll give you my primary .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The newsgroup "misc.rural" is still a little active. Try that one....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Google "bee Keepers forum" Which is why the newsgroups aren't what they use to be. I noticed a bunch of bees getting a drink from where a water meter was leaking and draining down a storm drain yesterday when dog and I took our daily walk.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Lessee , now where did my soapbox go ... There are a several of things going on with bees . A major problem has been Varroa Destructor (really !) mites , not only do they feed on bee larvae , but they are a vector for several virii that kill the weakened bees . I have a variety of bees that are varroa resistant , but still lost one (weak) colony to them last winter . Another problem is Roundup . While it is not an insecticide , one of the patented actions of this chemical is as an antibiotic - it kills the beneficial organisms in the digestive tract . Did you ever wonder about the recent gigantic upsurge in sales of "probiotics" ? Glyphosate (Roundup) residue in our food supply is killing the beneficial organisms in our digestive systems too . The third major player (IMO) is neonicotinoid insecticides . While a bee may not gather a lethal dose while out foraging , sublethal dosages can and do cause problems . These problems , coupled with an upsurge of "bee havers" - those who dabble without sufficient knowledge and training - who are out to "save the bees" have resulted in a decline in bee populations .

Add all these factors to the "old" bee diseases like foul brood and others and you get the current situation . All that said , the situation is not quite as dire as it has been presented and sensationalized by the MSM . Many don't realize it , but the honeybee , apis mellifera , is not native to the Americas . It was brought here by European immigrants ... and there are actually many other species of pollinators that can and will do almost everything the honeybee does . The one thing none of the others do is produce honey . So far this year I have extracted about 7 gallons of light honey from my 3 production colonies (4th is new this year , and I won't be taking honey from it) and expect to harvest probably another couple of gallons . I do have to leave them enough to support themselves over the winter and to make brood in the spring but the rest is mine, mine , mine , allllll mine ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Honey bees worldwide are being threatened by mobile phone signals and parasites!! Let's stop eating honey! :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

"natural" ... this is a very light flavored wildflower honey , and it tastes like ... honey ! It has a very light floral aroma , in contrast the darker honey I harvested last fall ws dark and had a very strong floral aroma and flavor .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Bees won't forage on pot anyway , so y'all can quit worrying about it . Now a honey infusion ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs