Air compressor problems

I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can anyone help me?

Reply to
Therod

Where's the leak? If it's coming out through the hose connection, you could perhaps attach a quick-connect coupling. Is the drain closed?

Reply to
CJT

where is it leaking from? I would find that and fixit.

Reply to
Chub

Sounds to me like the unloader valve is screwed up.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I'd guess that about 95% of the time a pressure loss is caused by items attached to the air compressor rather than the compressor itself.

I own four compressors and all of them can be unplugged and they will continue to hold pressure for months when not in use. But, they all tend to lose tank pressure in a day or two when I leave all of my attachments hooked up to a compressor (dial regulator, air drier, hose reel, hoses, quick connects, tools, etc.)

I partially solved that problem by attaching a "full port ball valve" as the very first attachment to each air compressor's output. That is followed by a quick connect fitting. This gives me the capability of verifying that a compressor tank is holding pressure. It also allows me to shut off the compressor outputs when not in use - thereby allowing me to hold tank pressure since I tend to procrastinate tracking down slow leaks in attachments.

Obviously, components should be reasonably good quality, should be attached with Teflon-style tape, and should be leak-tested.

FYI: Hose reels, especially inexpensive bargains versions, are often the source of pressure losses. O-rings should be lubed and/or replaced on a periodic basis.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

i had exactly the same problem with mine. parts had to come from india, at about a 10 week time frame. it also uses an odd size that the local compressor repair place said they couldn't get. after they shipped the wrong twice, causing a 5 month delay in using my compressor, i purchased an ingersol-rand one and tossed crappy one from harbor freight.

regards, charlie

Charles Spitzer