ac thermostat regulator?

I work for a company that has generic thermostats. We can't keep the employees from turning the air down far below what it should be. Rather then locking them up, someone told me there's a product that you can install that prevents the a/c from running to below a certain temperature no matter what. He compared it to a governor on a car. I cannot find this product anywhere. Does anyone out there know what this product is called and/or where I can find it?

Reply to
robt

Put a thermostat lock box over the thermostat.

Reply to
ransley

i would install a new thermostat in a hidden place, but leave the old one there so the employes could play around with it.

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

You could probably set something up with another thermostat (where those employees can't get to it) that opens the circuit below some minimum temperature. That is, no matter what the main thermostat is set to, you couldn't get it below what you set on the other thermostat. This would affect cooling only, although you could do this for heating too if you wanted.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One effective way to do this is with temperature sensors/switches in the return air duct.

Reply to
The Streets

ILLITERATE ALERT!!!! ILLITERATE ALERT!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Years ago, I had a book by Earl Proulx, the Yankee Handyman. He did just exactly this, in a residence. Put a thermostat on the baseboard behind the sofa. This may be the best answer, yet.

I have seen fixed point thermostats in a parts catalog.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seems like a heating and AC tech could install a second thermostat inside the return air duct, and put that in series with the regular thermostat. If the air is coming back below some set temperature, then the AC will shut off. Being in the return air stream, the thermostat would not cook when it was heating season.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon