AC/HEating Questions

Hi, I own a brick end of group 1,148 sq ft house w/ metal replacement windows. It's got baseboard electric w/ a thermostat in each room. I use low energy bulbs. My utility bill G&E is $89.00 a month. Only gas appliances - water heater & stove (I don't use the dishwasher) Electric rates were regulated @ 4.7 cents kwh July 1st electricity was deregulated.12 cents kwh and each year I'm sure it'll go up as the ten most highest price markets are all deregulated. Besides, it appears, deregulation is costing consumers more money each month, should I install central air/heating system or stick with my high efficiencies GE windows airconditioners and electric portable heater I bought from COSTCO. Is there a heating newsgroup I should post this to?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I live in the midatlantic region, near DC, w/ hot humid summers and cold winters.

Reply to
Mike

Mike if I were you I would do this-insulate first- then put in a high efficiency heat pump and gas furnace- then you have best of both worlds. Your heat pump will take a majority of the heating load and your gas furnace will take up the slack when it gets too cold. Insulate , insulate, insulate- your quickest payback!

Reply to
Mark

Resistance electric heat (baseboard) is inexpensive to install, comfortable and likely the most expensive option possible in the long run.

What other sources of energy do you have (gas oil etc.)?

If only electric look for a whole house central heat pump - AC unit. Get some estimates. Also have you home checked for insulation and energy efficient windows.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

no duct work and no radiators are in the house, so I'd have to have duct work installed. Will try to find a local expert to check out mt house.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mark, I'll try to find an expert in my area to come by and recommend a system Recently, I read an article that described how important correctly installing ductwork.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I wouls ask Fat Eddy at,