AC causing PV inverter to cycle into wait mode

Why does he need to do that? I think he made it pretty clear he was producing more power than he used.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

What did the system cost you? How much area do the collectors take?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Bob,

Well, it takes about 80 square feet per kW (my 6kW system covers about 500 sq feet) depending on the efficiency of the panels. My panels are 200 kW Kyocera and are a little more efficient than some. You need an east, south or west face. Of course the south face is best. The optimal angle depends on your latitude, but will be greater than 0 and less than 90 degrees.

The price is more difficult to provide because of the rebates, tax incentives, size of the array, amount of electricity you are forecasted to produce, and much of this varies by state and even by county and your utility company. Bottom line is that nobody will pay anywhere near the full retail cost of the system. Since I signed my contract last year, I actually received a better rebate than what California is offering this year. Ultimately they would like to wean the solar industry off from this rebate support, but the technology is pretty stable and I do not see any major price decreasing break throughs occurring in the near future (you do not need to worry that next year someone will come out with a panel that is twice as efficient or costs half the price). This market is not like IT/computing areas when the best time to buy always is in the future.

The retail cost of my system (30 200 watt Kyocer panels, 6kW SMA inverter, permits, installation, all materials, etc., was close to $45K. There was an immediate $15K rebate at the time of purchase, so the initial OOP was $30K. By the time the federal and state tax deductions kick in next year, and the other incentives, it should be about $18K. For me it will take less than seven years to break even.

It pretty much is a cost per watt basis. If you are using less than

1mWh/month (which most people would), then you could put up a much smaller (much less expensive) array. Again, if you are on the graduated billing structure like we are, then to a large degree, the smaller the system, the faster the ROI (because it will be chewing away at the highest cost watt hours). On a graduated billing structure, the closer you drive your bill towards zero, the lower the ROI from the system.

Some areas are on TOU (time of use) rates and your consumption and generation rates are based upon the time of day (peak hours cost and pay more, off-peak hours cost and pay less). We are not on a TOU basis here, but that is something you should check into before you sign any contracts.

I hope this helps.

best,

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

Yes. Thanks for the info Now if only I can get the neighbor to remove those 3 poplars.

Do you do any thermal solar for hot water?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Now there is an interesting question....

Is it a net benefit to the planet Earth to cut down 3 trees so the solar panel can work?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Since the tenant covered the bottom 2 feet of the trunks with dirt when he landscaped, I worry about the trunk rotting, and the trees falling on my house or garage.

And there's always the heat provided by the wood after the trees are cut. But then again, they are poplars.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F