A/C question

I installed my own central air conditioning system using the help of a store that catered to do-it-yourself applications. I did everything except sweat the copper lines and charge the system. Currently I have a 4 ton condensing unit on the roof and a horizontal furnace in the attic. My condensing unit is shot and I want to replace it with a 10 seer unit I'll mount on a pad on the patio.

My thinking is that if the furnace still works why replace it. It's a project I'd hate to do now. Am I correct in thinking if I have a 4 ton system any condensing unit would match? I was considering a Dayton unit from Grainger as I can get a commercial discount from them. Probably a cost near $600. With a pad and 50 hose lines the total shouldn't run more than $700. The electrical run wouldn't be a problem. The store went out of business. Do you think an A/C contractor would bother with a job of just charging up a home installed system. Any input would be grateful. T-Bone

Reply to
T-Bone

First...how many oil traps did you have since you had the condensor ABOVE the A coil? None I will bet.. Incorrect install there..

As far as hating to replace the furnace now...you will really hate it when you go to do it later..

Nope. Incorrect. There is more to this than slapping on a condensor...

Bottom of the barrel York units. Not bad, but not the best they make either. Not near the warranty that you COULD get..but if its not installed by a dealer..there is no warranty anyway.. None.

Sheesh..I hope so..since the wholesale price on better is less...

A 50 foot lineset, currently, is over $75 here wholesale....the pad is $50...

Sure...we do it from time to time. You sign waivers, stating if it does not work correctly, we are not liable, nor responsible in ANY way..period.....and you pay up front, since there is no guarantees what you did, as far as the matchup goes will work.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

It might or might not work. If it does, you win, if not you loose. Changes are it will be somewhere in-between, it will sort of work, but you may not know it (reduced efficiency and effectiveness) and it may have short life. In the long run it is worth doing right, which means having a real professional come out and see exactly what you have, do the calculations to see exactly what you need and help you choose a system that can be engineered to your needs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First, you don't really know if the outside unit is shot. Might need starting components, or something simple.

Assuming that you do want to replace it anyhow, it's really not something you oughta try yourself without training.

there's a bunch of things you need to do in order to not make things worse -- or really jam up your system.

I'd be double sure to find a HVAC guy who's willing to hook it up before you do the change out. Be sure to recover the freon legally,a nd turn it in to a reclaiming center (you are risking a 5 year federal prison sentence and $25,000.00 fine if you don't).

I can understand your desire to save a couple bucks, but you are likely to make more trouble than you solve by doing it yourself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon