A/C evaporator location

Reply to
Bubba

I dont work for the gas company, I work for a mechanical contractor whos major line of business is maintenance and repair of industrial hvac equipment. We also do some commerical type work as most of the plants we work in also have office areas with their own hvac related systems.

I did work for the local utility years ago when utilities actually did repair work...for the most part now your local gas man sets meters and hunts leaks...everything repair wise is subbed out to the local hacks....

I know it is odd for me to sit here and knock the very business I make my living at but I have watched the residential hvac business over the last 25 or so years turn into a parts changing or change out the equipment all together business...technicians being taught how to sell the customer on new equipment..technicians being told they need to push at least X amount of dollars worth of parts a month...bonuses given for parts and equipment sales to customers whether they need it or not....technicians being paid flat rate.....this all leads to technicians who become parts changers and salesmen.

Im not saying all hvac companies are like this but quite a few are and like other repair oriented businesses you just have to be carefull.

As for equipment....anyone in the hvac biz knows thay equipemnt manufactured years ago far outlasted and is currently outlasting in some cases anything on the market built today. Manufacturers are running lean now....they produce an inferior product to keep up the ever increasing profits demanded by upper management and stock holders.....I see equipment on a daily basis that is 30 years old...sometimes older that is still running and has ran good for all those years with minimal maintenace and repair costs...I also see new junk on the market that gets torn out and ends up in the landfill after

5 years...its sad but true.
Reply to
cornytheclown

Your story is still crap. You talk out of both sides of your mouth. You knock the business that you made a living at and now you knock the hvac guys for what you know nothing about. Incase you havent noticed, the techs arent causing the demise of long lasting equipment. Customers want units cheaper and cheaper. Why do you think Goodman is so popular? Why do you see more and more of it in million dollar homes? Because its cheap and thats what people want. That makes hvac equipment like VCR's. You clean em and throw em away. 30+ year old equipment works great but gas prices have warranted their replacement. You cant afford to run old stuff anymore. You cant sit there and burn the techs when its owners and management that run the show. You need to get out of your Ivory tower and look around once in a while. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Right Corny, you da Clown, do you push the broom or hold the pan at work, My 93.5% Lennox has full 10 year warranty 20 on coil and I save

50% over my dinosaur that sounded like one too and leaked Co, It will payback 100% in 3 years, gives more even heat and as a bonus I got AC, amazing huh. Hey it even works unlike the old one. I even got a 4" media filter, and 1st humidifier all while saving 50% on Btu and 20% on Kwh. I bet you think the 80% er is just fine for everyone. But you rent im sure.
Reply to
m Ransley

Hmmm, how does the furnace do it for free. You put water in the air you need btu's of heat to do it; never free, unless you own the gas company.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I remember that one too.

Reply to