A better fireplace plug?

I bought a fireplace plug (rectangular) from HD to stop air from leaking in/out.

Unfortunately, when the plug is inflated it has creases along the edges and is unable to seal tight against the fireplace wall. This is because the plug is made of inelastic plastic sheets laminated together and has several slittable areas in the middle.

Is there a better alternative? Something made of flexible material like a yoga exercise ball?

Reply to
james

I took steel 1.2" L channel and screwed it in the fireplace opening all around, then 4" foamboard painted flat black and put magnetic tape on the foamboard. It fits tight and raised my living room temp about

3-4f. When its inplace behind a screen you dont notice it. Its the only way to stop the mass of cold brick from cooling the room and the door sets I saw sold didnt have airtight seals. Just wait a day till embers are gone before putting it inplace. Ballons kindof work but a magnetic foam plug I think cant be beat in in terms of R value and air sealing. A tip, put the magnetic tape on the metal, then stick the foamboard to it, then you are assured of proper fit.
Reply to
ransley

I take it that you don't have fireplace doors???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Ive never seen a sealing set of fireplace doors. I was told by a fireplace dealer store that maybe for 1000$ I could get a set, all leak air that ive seen, the insulating value of glass doors with metal frames is near zero to 1R. My set I junked.

Reply to
ransley

I made a cylindrical chimney plug for a zero clearance fireplace by rolling up a length of 1/2" foam rubber and tying it into shape. I just shoved it up the chimney like a piston, friction held it in place. A bit messy but I only used the fireplace a few times a year. Not a good idea to try it right after a hot fire.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

If the damper is closed and the glass doors are closed, there is virtually no air leakage around/thru the doors. The doors do get colder than room temperature, but so do the walls and windows. I thought you were worried about actual airflow.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I use a giant, heavy duty plastic bag stuffed/layered with insulation. I tied the bag closed and jammed it up into place. Works great and is easily removable, since I tied a loop onto the tie closure to use like a handle.

I have a locking pull down damper, I had a door, only with a foam sheet covering the opening did the room warm up. Id say because the firebox is large, uninsulated, and exposed, it just makes a difference

Reply to
ransley

Beach ball

Jerry - OHIO

Yeah....take a bicycle inner tube and stretch it around your plug and inflate it till it seals. Jim

Reply to
Jim