3 year old 32 inch Sony TV died!???

Soldering does not require lead to work. If they can't solder without lead, then they were probably sloppy with it.

There are simply a lot of low quality electronic components coming out of asia these days. Some however, are not low quality.

Personally I had sony everything since 1988. Put a sony receiver and CD player in my truch in 1996. The CD player started to skip at times I thought it shouldnt, and the tape deck on the receiver went sour. I have a surround sound stereo in my house that has always worked. But after so long I begin to question the quality of the way it divides the sounds between the speakers. I have a sony DVD player that has trouble with minor scratches.

One way or another, I am done with Sony. My new Receiver is an Integra. Im looking for alternate brands everywhere else. I guess Sony got on the cost cutting bandwagon...

Reply to
dnoyeB

It looks like I won't either. Won't buy any RCA or GE either.

I used to use RCA (because of a relative who did, I guess they were good once). Never again. They fail quickly. The last TV I bought is Sanyo.

Is any brand any good?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I feel I should avoid Sony (a feeling that got stronger after hearing about what they did with their music CDs last year).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The monitor I'm using right now is a LCD monitor with the never-heard-before brand name of "Balance". I've had it over a year, and it's still working properly.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've heard of other video games killing tvs because the video sync is often lost and reapplied causing the HV supply of the tv to be shut down and started up over and over. That doesn't apply to the playstation. Its video output is constant. It's no worse than watching a movie.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It looks like I won't either. Won't buy any RCA or GE either. I used to use RCA (because of a relative who did, I guess they were good once). Never again. They fail quickly. The last TV I bought is Sanyo. Is any brand any good? ====================================== For a high end TV some like Loewe, and Proton. but I reckon just because one shells out big $$$$ for a TV doesn't necessarily insure longevity, or lack of bugs. Buying any TV brand IMO is essentially a crap shoot now days.

Many of the top of the line Sony's I've found have problems reproducting anything less than an absolute perfect DVD input Signal. Digital Dish, and VCR Tapes are reproduced poorly. That was one of my personal dislikes with Sony.

With a Sony Digital Dish, many movies looked like I was watching a dubbed Chinese Kung Fu Movie. The lips moved, and it appeared the voices didn't match! lol Something no doubt attributable to Sony's Velocity Scan Modulation.

Sanyo, yeah great brand for the buck (Same with Samsung). Naturally, they don't have as many on screen fancy adjustments, bells, and whistles as a Sony, nor as good a picture all things being equal, but at least with something like a $200 27" Flat Screen Sanyo, and it poops out after

2-3 years, you don't feel like commiting Hari Kari when the TV has to hit the Garbage Dump.

I think with any costly Sony, or other high priced brand TV (32-36-40-wide screens-HDTV etc) exceeding $600-$700, a wise investment is an extended warrantee. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

as far as flat panels (LCD) are concerned, Samsung has been the reigning champion for the last 5+ years in computers. This might extend to televisions as well.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I think Sony's quality control went to hell in the latter half of the

1990s. They had lost a lot of market share to cheaper brands and no longer had much in the way of unique consumer products, so they cut costs by cutting corners on the manufacture of overly complicated designs. The result: poor reliability and short life.

Sony TVs still have the best picture quality in the business. Too bad they don't last.

Reply to
Neill Massello

There are flat screen picture tubes.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I saw that in a magazine once, but don't remember WHICH magazine, except that it was one that doesn't usually publish unverified statements.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've heard that before. Big-screen TVs are one of the few things it can be worthwhile to buy an extended warranty for.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Good advice.

OOps, I was thinking "thin screen". I keep getting those two mixed up, even though I know the difference.

Thanks.

mm

That is, I was thinking it was thin screen and didn't have a picture tube.

But since it's flat screen, that pretty much means that it does.

Thanks again.

mm

Hey Mark

I doubt whether any "big brand" is any better than another nowadays. If one of them lowers their MTBF it will be for a cost saving that others will follow. IMO the only way to now get "big brand" longevity is to maybe buy their $$$ commercial/broadcast products. Sony commercial gear is very rugged and reliable. (Was involved in an OB truck project some years ago. Even the TV monitor chassis were real solid)

It's all the consumers fault never wanting to pay a high price for anything!

Cheers Bob

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Reply to
Bob Bob

I have, but it's rare. In almost all cases it's like you said, either high voltage or video problems.

Reply to
clifto