220 hot tub wiring

Hey all,

I'm hooking up an old hot tub that I have been rebuilding - ( new pump, heater, ect) I'm to the point that I want to take it "live"

so, I though I'd get some feed back on what I understand to be the way to hook up my power.

I have: main panel in the house, a gfi breaker (spa pack) outside, and the tub. Wires are copper 6 in flex conduit.

in the main panel- Black and Red to the breaker, white and bare to the bus bars as appropriate.

in the spa pack from the house, Black and Red to the Top of the breaker, white to the bus bar with the pig tail, bare to the other bar. ( pig tail runs from bus bar to bottom of breaker)

in the spa pack to the tub , Black and red to bottom of the breaker, white to the bottom of the breaker, bare to the bus bar that shares the ground from the house.

in the tub, - its all labeled clearly there.

Thanks for your feedback

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

You only need one breaker and a disconnect/switch/etc located within a certain distance from the spa so that it can be seen and used to cut off the power if necessary. However, you can have the two breakers if you want.

Also, since the SPA apparently needs a neutral and there must be some

120V load, the breaker needs to be the 240V type that include neutral protection. There are GFCI that only handle 240V for applications that don't also need 120V. If you use that type with a neutral it will trip due to the current from any 120 load that goes back via the neutral.
Reply to
trader4

It looks fine, just be sure your GFCI spa pack is located no closer than five feet from the tub and within sight of the tub. You need a GFCI outlet for general use located between 6 and 20 feet from the tub. Any metal structures located within 5 feet of the tub that could become electrically energized have to be bonded to the tub equipment with #8 solid copper

Reply to
RBM