15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker

That's correct. 14ga copper is the *minimum* for 15A circuits.

Doug Miller

Only idiots use those push terminals anyhow. I wish they would stop putting them on outlets. They are dangerous. REAL electricians use the screws. I NEVER use the push terminals. Also, #12 wire is no harder to use than #14 on the screws, if you know how to bend a good hook with a plyers.

Reply to
kelly

I assumed it could..they described it (12GA) as "overkill" I didnt ask for the 20A breakers..they just ended up in there

Rudy

replying to Eric and Megan Swope, K2 wrote: Just asked my electrician the same question, yes its legal and to code here in Washington State to use multiple 15amp outlets on 12 wire and 20 amp breaker. L&I inspector agreed and says its installed per code.

Reply to
K2

Switches should be sized to the load but 15a receptacles are actually rated to pass through 20a. The listing on any equipment using a 15a (NEMA 5-15) plug should be limited at 12a or 80% of 15a. I have seen some non-compliant equipment but it is rare. Usually the labeling is bogus, like those "1800 watt" hair dryers that are actually more like

1400w.
Reply to
gfretwell

I have measured the same thing on several devices. Maybe that is the peak wattage as inthe first few miliseconds it drawa that power. Sort of like the 'music power' of speakers. I have seen computer speakers that show 50 watts or better powered by a small wall cube. Inside the speaker is rated for 2 watts. Maybe the first milisecond when a drum is hit the power will spike that high.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery