1/2 inch flexible copper -- grades? gauges?

Hi All,

I plan to run copper tubing for installation of two LPG wall heaters. Is there a particular grade or gauge copper that should be used? NOT used? E.g., is refrigerant-grade copper suitable? Are there diffferent grades, as with rigid copper's L and M ?

Thanx

Reply to
Dennis

It would be better to look into black iron gas pipe or the newer stainless flex gas line called CSST:

DanG

So.....tell him why! Copper reacts with fuel gas and flakes off inside the piping.this will soon clog any gas valve orifice. And....yes "soft copper" as it's called does come in grades like L and M. Is any part of this line going to be buried? If so, stick to coated black iron like "X-coat" made for this application. If above ground the new corrigated SS flex works well. It's actually yellow in color. Just follow the manufacture's directions exactly. That's Right RTFM

Reply to
Inspector D

I like black iron. cause then you, and everyone else knows it's a gas pipe. With copper, you're not sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All good advice. I like black pipe and have used it before, but in this case it is beyond my DIY capabilities. Can't cut & thread pipe to the needed lengths.

so

Why not a combination of pipe and copper?

1) Which grade of copper would I use?

2) Is CSST suitable for outdoors? e.g., to run along an outside wall?

3) If so, then

a: Where can I get the flex? The plumbing guy at Home Depot never heard of it. Our local plumbing supply house treats DIYers like the scum of the earth.

b: Is it code approved in most jurisdictions? Everyone around here [NH] uses copper.

c: What is the cost difference for about 65 feet?

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis