02 sensor and better gas mileage

Here's another rather cheap way,

He just uses a rubber balloon, a rubber glove, some tubing and a vape pen.

--------------

Another guy didnt' buy or build a smoke machhine. He just smoked a cigar, and it worked.

He attached another hose to his brake booster hose, blew into it and found smoke coming out at the EGR valve which had a cracked something or other. Cost him a dollar.

I don't smoke. I wonder if there is a way to do this with only exhaling?

Reply to
micky

It's the release valve to burn the gas fumes from the gas tank, part of the evaporative emissions control system.

Reply to
trader_4

I was thinking about that when the poster said you could use brake cleaner. But I wasn't sure if BC was flammable or not, especially now that there are more environmentally friendly substances. You might still get some change in how the engine runs, but good chance it's not noticeable, while injecting a substance that's similar to gasoline will produce a noticeable change.

I'd have a hose and fire extinguisher handy. I've never had to resort to this, but it doesn't sound too practical. It sounds fine if you see a few suspect spots to try, but if you have to spray it around everywhere, along all the hose runs, doesn't seem very practical. Plus you can't even get to many spots and many of those are the most likely to fail, eg buried behind the engine, running next to it where it gets hot and deteriorates, etc. One advantage a dealer mechanic or similar has with this is they've seen many of the same cars and know where the failure prone spots are so they know exactly where to look or spray. I suppose you could get a garden sprayer, fill it with gasoline and spray everywhere..... :)

Reply to
trader_4

Cigars you don't inhale most of the smoke, only take it into your mouth to get the flavor. It's worth a try. I'd get a Cohiba and try it out.

Reply to
trader_4

Also should have added that if there's a leak there it has to be between the purge valve and the intake manifold. If there was a leak on the other side of the valve you' should have fault codes for the evaporative emission system, the computer monitors that for correct pressure.

Reply to
trader_4

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 01:57:23 -0400, Steve W. posted for all of us to digest...

You don't want smoke that will ruin sensors and cause more problems & $$$$

Reply to
Tekkie©

True, but most dry smoke isn't going to be an issue for that as it's not going to stick to components. I've tried to contaminate MAF and )2 sensors just to see what it really takes to get them to skew and it's surprising what really hurts them. The biggest thing is oil, either oil mist from the PCV or from someone going all K&N on them. Things that go by but leave no residue were fine.

Reply to
Steve W.

If I was doing it I'd take the MAF sensor out. You kind of have to anyway I would think, or smoke will blow out the air cleaner. So take it out, tape off the pipe. I don't think there are any other sensors that could be sensitive to smoke in the vaccum/intake system that smoke could possibly harm.

Reply to
trader_4

Too risky for me. I'm not good at moderation and even putting it in my mouth might get me hooked (not chemically but just 'cause I like it.) That's why I trying to figure out if one could just light a cigar and blow out through the cigar, and still collect the smoke in some tube that goes to the intake manifold, etc.

But I gave up on that idea and ordered a vape kit. Should be here any day. (I only found one kit that was complete with juice and dispenser etc. $11 at elctrictobacconist. plus 12 or 13 shipping. "Boulder"-something. I shouldn' promote it before iit comes. It may be a disappointment.

All the others required buying separate vape juice and the cost would be about $30 plus shipping. And the disposeables really are. When you run out of liquid or electricity,theyi can't be refilled or recharged. You dispose of them.

Flavored disposeables are not legal for sale in Marlyand and several other states, cities, counties. Lots of rules.

When I got to Mexico I used to tell people who offered me a cigarette, "No fumar". Eventually I realized I'd read this on signs at gas stations and it meant No Smoking. LOL

Just like the foreigners Americans laugh at when they mangle English.

So I changed to No fuMO. Sounded good but eventually I learned that meant, I didn't smoke.

Just like the foreigners Americans laugh at when they mangle English.

Finally I knew enough Spanish to say No FUmo. It didnt' sound like Spanish to me, but it is. I don't smoke.

Reply to
micky