Using a reel mower

I had my first trial today using a reconditioned reel mower I recently purchased. I am interested in any tips experienced reel mower user have for a good cut.

My first attempt was mixed. It took a little while to find a good cutting height (some areas of the lawn got scalped) and I noted one end of the blade didn't cut well (blades are sharp however) as it had some stone damage at some point.

My lawn is also a little undulating so it skipped across several points and bent the grass flat rather than taking a uniform slice off. The grass was also damp which may have affected it.

The cut grass, especially clover, however I noticed was more finely sliced than using a rotary.

ANything I should be doing/not doing?

rob

Reply to
George.com

What type of grass are you cutting with your reel mower? Those are great for level bent.

Reply to
Steveo

fescue n rye turf mix

rob

Reply to
George.com

That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

Reply to
Steveo

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel mower, that it was better for the grass. The last 3 years I have been working toward getting a lawn that would notionally benefit from a reel mower. I saw one advertised and followed through on my idle threat. Yes, a rotary does an ok job.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp blades on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

YMMV

Reply to
Steveo

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop a couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety of grass do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

rob

Reply to
George.com

^^See where it says bent? ^^ :)

Reply to
Steveo

yeah but what, all types, specific varieties do better than other in your opinion, what?

rob

Reply to
George.com

Time-out.

Are you asking me which bentgrass to plant so that it will match your reel mower?

You said it was blue/rye you were gonna cut with it, no?

Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Reply to
Steveo

Penncross is the most common bent grass for homes, if I'm not mistaken.

Would you really want to have a putting green for a yard, tho? The maintenence costs would be quite high. You might want to do some serious research on bents and their upkeep before getting yourself in over your head.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I am not going to redig up my lawn and plant bent grasses just because of a new mower. I spent 3 years getting it good. I was curious people mentioning bent grasses thats all. Not used very much for lawns here in new zealand I am aware of. Can't say I have actually seen one and not a grass I am too familiar with. Lawns are most usually turf ryes and fescues of varying sizes. Brown top used to be popular but has gone out of favour a little as it did not tolerate summer heats as much as the other 2 I understand. Some people use bluegrass and couch lawns have become established as people either choose them (such as coastal areas) or can't be bothered cutting it out of existng lawns and it takes over. I had couch quite bad in my lawn but have eliminated the bastard. We also have paspalum and crab/goose (? as many of those bastard grasses look very similair) grasses due to lawn neglect. Again, something I have all but eliminated. We also get poa grasses lookalikes.

Every old boy in the 1950s and 60s used a reel mower for his lawn. They took lawns quite short in those days, much like the haircuts I guess. My grandfather cut his almost flat lawn with a reel mower. The finer turf grasses encouraged in NZ home lawns nowadays are best cut, so many many many people say, with reel mowers rather than rotaries. They give a sharper and more even cut. Lawn professionals I have spoken to also say reel mowers are great for home lawns.

I got one to treat my lawn well. The rotary does the job ok, I wanted to give the grass some pampering however. If it doesn't work out as hoped I can flog it off (may lose a little money but that is the way with grass, it keeps you poor). I need to master using the mower, pacing the cut, using it round akward areas and adjusting its height just right before I can judge how good a job it does. I just wanted others experiences but trial and error will tell me.

rob

Reply to
George.com