To Bag- or not to bag?

Jos

From UC Davis

is the layer of living and dead stems, roots, stolons, and rhizomes between the green blades of grass and the soil surface. A thin layer of thatch (less than 1/2 inch thick) can be beneficial to the lawn because it helps to limit weed germination, reduce water evaporation, and protect from frost damage. However, thick thatch layers can prevent water, air, and nutrients from penetrating the soil, causing reduced root growth and increased potential for drought stress. Thatch also favors fungal growth and can harbor insect pests. Some turfgrass species, such as tall fescue and perennial ryegrass, do not produce much thatch. Other turfgrass species, such as bermudagrass, bentgrass, and Kentucky bluegrass, have creeping growth habits and rapidly build thick thatch layers.

Tips for preventing thatch build up Follow proper fertilization practices; avoid excessive amounts of nitrogen. Avoid frequent and shallow irrigation on established lawns. Mow properly; remove clippings if too much of the grass is removed at one time. (should never remove more than 1/3 of the length at a time)

Reply to
Nicole

Nicole

In about three weeks, yup. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Reply to
Nicole

Big difference here, too. But, most Supers that I've worked for had degrees from major universities, in their field.

Most of the guys on the grounds crew work just that; the course itself, and aren't really interested in horticulture. Horticulture is totally separate, but both are still under the Superintendant. About the only time we actually cross jobs, is if there's a large sodding project or renovation, I'll give them a hand. And, when it comes time to cut down the ornamental grasses strewn all over the course, they'll give me a hand (with the full crew, including seasonal staff, this can take almost two full weeks). I think I get the good end of that deal, heh. Of course, after this season's severe storms (I'm near St. Louis, Mo), we've all spent the majority of our time with the mundane task of limb and other debris removal. :/

I'm definately ready for some more stable weather.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Jeez.... Dude, I bag every 4th cut to prevent this type of argument. Also I use the clippings in my veggie garden for the nitro. But I start in the middle of my yard and side discharge towards outbound and get wider and wider, blowing to the outer edge. When I get to where I am blowing the clippings ( or leaves in the fall) past the end, I then put on the bag, and I only have to empty the bag a few times, and I'm back inside reading the stupid comments in here....

Reply to
Garden Viking