RYE grass-

When is the best time of year to plant RYE grass? I'm in N.C. I didn't know whether it was a different time of year than other grasses.

Donna

Reply to
dyork

Not familiar with NC, but in our area (TX), Rye is a winter grass and usually dies off in the heat. We have two kinds of Rye. One doesn't come back one does. I planted some in the back yard six years ago and am still trying to get rid of it. It is a nice green in the winter, but it is very hard to mow. Seems to contain a lot of moisture and tends to clog up under the mower deck.

Donna

Reply to
Bob

On 05 Mar 2007, you wrote in alt.home.lawn.garden:

Two types of rye are available in Texas: Annual Rye and Perennial Rye. Both types are heat-sensitive and die out in the summer.

Annual rye seed is cheaper. It grows densely and rapidly. If you give it good care, you'll need to mow it twice a week during the winter. Mow it only once a week and you'll get the clumping.

Perennial rye is shorter, finer, and costs two to three times as much as annual rye. It's easier to care for, and it's the one you see at all the apartment complexes.

I like the look of the perennial rye better, but I've never bought it because of the cost.

All the rye seed will not germinate the first season. Some of it will wait until the next year. If you don't reseed, it will eventually quit coming up.

Reply to
Steve

My mom has a neighbor (with a very big house & very big yard) that has mixed his grass seed. Rye & Fescue and he has a beautiful lawn. I would ask him, but not to crazy for him, if you know what I mean. I'll just go to Lowe's and ask them. I've never heard of anyone say that they had a hard time mowing it though. I guess I'll have to do some more research on it. Thanks!

Anyone from the south want to put their two cents in?

Reply to
dyork

plant rye in the fall. if you plant it in the spring it will die in the heat of the summer before getting a chance to establish. when planted in fall it has all winter and spring to establish if perenial. if annual it will die off in summer and you plant again next fall for another winter of annual rye.

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

If I choose to plant the Rye grass, do I plant it in the spring or fall? I would guess that you would plant it in the spring along with other grasses.

Donna ( in N.C. )

Reply to
dyork

Thank you for correcting me. I would have been out there planting Rye grass this spring. But it makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Donna

Reply to
dyork