New Seed and Mulch

Hi All -

I'm in the process of fixing some spots in the lawn (filled in some low spots) and now want to plant some grass. The biggest spot is about 10' in diameter and it's in full sun.

I can water daily, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to throw some mulch over the top of the seed? If so, do you have recommendations? I'm thinking straw, but out of curiosity would grass clipping work?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And, you'll need to, if you want the grass to survive.

Probably the best choice. However, depending on your location (and choice of grass), it may not be the best choice of timing to seed a lawn, especially cool season grasses.

Most likely, they'd cook the seed, as they decompose. If they're already dry, they can be a fire hazard.

If you have only one kind of turf grass, why not just sod the areas?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I'd go to a landscape supply and get some hydraulic mulch. It's made of ground up cellulose, comes in fertilizer size bags, and is what is used in bulk form when they do hydro seeding. It sucks up water and holds it, which is what you want in higher temps. The home centers may have it, but usually I only see it there in bags with seed and fertilizer already mixed in. It's perfect for areas this size.

Reply to
trader4

Ya, perfect no doubt. I hadn't seen it available as such, for the home user. Good call, if it's available. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Excellent, thank very much for the advice! Time for a little shoppin' trip.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Garden centers sell a $10 fabric cover that you can put over your seeds to keep the moisture in. You will need some garden staples to keep it in place too ($5). However, hydraulic mulch like Johnathan Green bare spot mix may work better as it covers areas around the grass keeping out weeds. Best time to seed though is either spring (late apr) or fall (late aug). You will need to water at least once a day probably 2-3 in the summer.

Reply to
Robert La Ferla