Need Suggestions For Low Ground Cover Between Slate

On the side of my house I have slate running on a slight downward slope, tiered off every 4 feet leading from the back of the house to the front. It is quite dry, but covered with shade. I thought about a zoysia variety, but there isn't enough sun and KY 31 is out as there isn't a whole lot of moisture in the summer. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Wade

Reply to
Wade

You should let us know where you live.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Oh, yeah that would help, wouldn't it. I am in Raleigh, NC. I've been thinking about some kind of moss since my original post, but I don't any experience with the stuff.

Reply to
Wade

As for grass, I've had some success with Jonathon Green Shady Nook. I've used it on the north end of my house has a sort of alley way, with woods forming the other side, about 15 ft away. It gets very little sunlight. I've overseeded for several years and each year it gets better, though it's been a long process. I can only seed it in the spring, which is when it gets the most light.

However, I'd also be interested in hearing about other plant alternatives, as I've considered going to laying down some stepping stones and surrounding with some other shade loving plant.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I would stay away from moss because although it can be very nice between pavers, weeds and grass can easily grow within the moss. Moss seems to be a nice little trap for grass and weed seeds and it gives them a nice environment to grow in. If you do use moss, use a product called Amaze after the moss has established. Amaze will keep weed and grass seeds from germinating.

Dwarf Mondo Grass would be an excellent choice. It has many varieties and can be called by quite a few different names, but you'll want to find one that has a 2-3" growth habit. Nana is the variety which is commonly used for an application such as yours. It loves shade and will do well in your zone. It will need to be watered if it's in a dry location.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

BTW, I live in NJ

Reply to