Mulch

Would I have any problems mulching my vegetable garden (for weed control) with dry grass clippings from my compost pile? I would like to spread it on about six inches thick. Thanks

Reply to
Racerboy

Do you treat your lawn?

Reply to
Steveo

Not recommended for mulching directly. The grass forms mats which will prevent water from penetrating (especially at 6 inches thick). Also, any weed seeds contained in it will eventually propogate and defeat the purpose of weed prevention. If you also have applied weed killers/insecticides, these could be systemically in the grass and prevent your garden plants from growing. The best way to use grass clippings is to start a compost pile (ingredients/methods are available online or in most garden books). This will eventually turn those clippings into useful (fertile) soil/mulch which can be spread on later (about 1 year from now). Hope this helps.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Racerboy" Newsgroups: alt.home.lawn.garden Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 7:08 PM Subject: Mulch

Reply to
evolutionman 2004