Is it too late to water my lawn?

I had surgery about three weeks ago and since then I have not watered my lawn. For obvious reasons, my lawn is now all yellowed out with a few patches of green here and there.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather had been very hot lately.

Is there a way to resurrect this grass? I am recovered from surgery and therefore can go back out there and try to work again if possible to revive the grass.

Thanks Gene

Reply to
Gene Moon

Never too late, just be sure it's getting at least one inch of water per week if you're going to start now.

Reply to
Moparholic

water for 10 -15 minutes every day and you will notice reqrowth in a week maybe less

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

Watering 10 - 15 minutes a day is not the way to water grass in OK for sure. That much watering would evaporate before it ever got to a grass root. He needs to put out several containers to catch water and sprinkle until at least 1/2 inch of water is in the containers if they have straight up sides, more if tapered sides. I'd say the amount now should be about 1 inch to get top moisture to meet ground moisture that may be 6 or 8 inches down.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

When a lawn doesn't get sufficient water, it goes dormant and turns brown. It's not dead and can survive a long time like that.

If you're going to water, it should be watered deeply every 4 to 7 days depending on temps, type of soil, etc. That means it needs about an inch of water. With a typical sprinkler system that means over an hour per zone. You can put out some cut out tuna cans to measure the amount. Most people have no conception of how much water they are even putting down.

The worst thing you can do is water it a little each day. Ten or fifteen minutes only wets the surface, most of that evaporates. That practice will only encourage disease, fungus, and shallow roots.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

That is what I have been doing Tom, I have been watering an inch every four days. Does sound about right to you?

Gene

Reply to
Gene Moon

That's plenty, Gene. Have you put any product on your lawn lately?

Reply to
Moparholic

Scratch down and see if you still have moisture a 1/2 inch below the surface. If so, you may want to go a little longer between putting down on inch, or cut back to 3/4 or 1/2 to maintain moisture. Just don't cut back to the 15 minute thing!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

It depends -greatly- on where you live.

(you wreck the thread with your top posting).

Reply to
Moparholic

I water 3 times a day when its very hot. At 4am,12pm,8pm. For about 45 minutes each time. If I do less than this my lawn gets fried. I tryed the 1 inch per week thing and that is for the birds when its really hot. That is a good rule of thumb if the temp is around 70 to 80F consistently. Your grass needs a good drink after every baking on a daily basis until it cools down or rains.

Lasher

Reply to
Lasher

Not true.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't know what kind of flow rate you have. But with 45 minutes on a very hot day and a typical system, much of that water just evaporates. What makes it to the roots, just encourages shallow root growth, which means the lawn requires even more water.

A deep watering as frequently as needed is the best practice. It encourages deep roots and lessens disease and fungus. Generally, that's 4-7 days depending on soil condition. If it's very hot, then maybe even more frequently, but I have yet to see a lawn that required watering 3 times a day. Are you putting nitrogen on it in that kind of weather?

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Not true.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

For your grass, that's the only way to go. You have the roots up at the surface getting water instead of growing down to get water. You have to start in cooler weather with the deep water plan and stay with it.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J