How do I fix parts of my lawn being wet all the time?

In the spring, I had sod put in to replace my lawn. I also installed an irrigation system to water the lawn. This is the best lawn I have ever had! The only problem I have is next to one side of my house and the far back of my lawn do not get very much sun. Because of this, the soil always is dark and muddy. The grass is green in those areas but not as thick. Even if I do not water the lawn for multiple days, these areas stay wet. I live in Cromwell, CT and the soil has lots of clay.

Reply to
roland.lataille

Does the grade provide drainage or is that a low spot?

Reply to
Steveo

In the back it is the lowest spot. On the side my neighbors lawn grade is higher than mine.

Reply to
cinerama

So it's not just the lack of sun then, it could also be a drainage problem too? How big of an area are you talking about?

Reply to
Steveo

Sounds like you need to have this area in a sprinkler zone of its own. I have the same problem and have cut back on watering of this zone to 1x a week vs. twice a week for the other four zones. My land is all clay.

Va Beach, VA

snipped-for-privacy@po.state.ct.us wrote:

Reply to
Lou

Reply to
JillAdams

Reply to
MANIC_D

I have'nt watered the lawn for many days. I just mowed it last night. The areas that get plenty of sun are very thick and green - they look great. The areas that get very little sun if any at all are green but are very wet, muddy and the grass is sparce. It looks like pretty soon I'll nothing but mud in those areas.

Reply to
cinerama

I just finished talking to the lawn service who put the new sod on my lawn during the summer. They recommend airation twice a year. What do you think?

Reply to
cinerama

I raked up the leaves last night. They airated the lawn over a week ago. the bad parts of the lawn are just getting worse. Very little grass, all dark mud. Any suggestions to dry this up? These parts of the lawn get very little sun if any. Trees and/or the house are are shading these parts of the lawn and not allowing any sun to hit them. Any suggestions besides the airating?

Reply to
cinerama

You may end up having to plant ground covers such as english ivy or myrtle etc.. in the heavy shade areas. If you're hell bent on trying grass seed see if you can find some fine fescue seed. It's about the most shade tolerant cool season turfgrass there is. Can you have the trees thinned?

Reply to
Steveo