Advice required for a mower

Hi All

At present I do a spot of grass cutting and garden maintenance for a few folk. When i started out I was using a Mcculloch Mower that was self propelled, it did an ok job but I got it for free and after a good bit of use it was only good for the bin, it was good for up to a medium sized lawn.

So as an upgrade I searched around and got myself a Suffolk Punch (17") cylinder mower. Its fantastic, for the money (i paid £100 for it) however it does struggle very much with gardens that aren't completely level and i am forever emptying the grass box. On one garden I emptied the box 28 times, which is a bit of an irrotation.

To meet my needs half way I have been considering at the end of the season buying a rotary mower with a roller on the back (for the stripes). I have recently used a Hayter Harrier 48, it was nothing short of superb, very quiet left an excellent finish on the lawn. However they are mega money, even second hand.

Therefore I am looking a bit of advice of what to buy really. I have seen a Mcculloch with a roller

{keyword}),and also a Mountfield M3.

The mower gets approx 4-6 hours of use per week, so if anyone has any further suggestions please reply.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
tsomo2000

You are spending a lot of time cutting grass. A rider would be best but at least you should go for something with a wider cut, say 21-22 inches. I have a self propelled Honda with a mulching blade and never have to bag clippings. I know UK models are different but previously I had a two cycle Lawnboy but 2 cycle engines have been eliminated in US mowers and now I enjoy cutting with 4 cycle engine with far fewer fumes to inhale.

Reply to
Frank